does pcmanfm has split view or not?

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
ladrao

does pcmanfm has split view or not?

Post by ladrao »

Rumor has it that pcmanfm 0.9.9 has split view. I installed lubuntu and it comes with that exact version but I can't seem to find any such functionality. Is it just a rumor? If so, is there any ppa, or any user compiled deb packages out there that I can quickly install?

I tried to compile pcmanfm from source but after an endless struggle I couldn't satisfy all the dependencies. also the makefile had references to files not included in the upstream. I tried a couple of patches before I gave up.

I think this is a killer feature, ever since it was introduced in nautilus, it grown on me in a away that I feel impaired without it. But I had it with gnome... too bloated for my taste.
Rex Bouwense

Re: does pcmanfm has split view or not?

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I enjoyed the split view and have also been able to find any comperable function in PCMan FM. I think we are giving up a little to get a light desktop, but if someone out there has an answer I too would like to know. Installing a bunch of stuff that is going to bloat the system just defeats the purpose. Sorry I cannot help. Just to let you know that you are not alone.
Rex
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I do not see the advantage of getting two panes from a two-pane browser and just double clicking a pcmanfm panel icon. The latter instantly brings up 2 copies each with its own menu. The only dual pained browsers that I ever used, admittedly quite awhile ago, shared a menu and required an extra click ot two at different locations, but I suppose the newer versions are better.
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

mc.jpg
Midnight Commander
(77.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
It might not be your cup of tea. But it works in init 3 boot and has saved my bacon a ton of times. It is not heavy either and I know it is in all Linux repos. Worth learning how to use it IMO.

http://www.trembath.co.za/mctutorial.html
Amrel RT 786ex 1.6ghz, 512MB ram , AntiX 8.5 core, Biker Linux user # 475019
Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
My AntiX LXDE Install
M_Mynaardt

Post by M_Mynaardt »

PCManFM may not have a split screen; but the tab feature works just as well.

I use tabbing in PCManFM quite a lot when moving or copying files. It's not quite as keen looking as the split screen feature of Nautilus. But being able to open multiple tabs in one PCManFM window is more than adequate for my needs, I find.
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

LXDE is your computer's Friend!
Always trust LXDE!
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

Just another file manager I run in some of my installs.

http://code.google.com/p/sunflower-fm/

It'll work in LXDE,Fluxbox,Openbox,and Icewm also.
Amrel RT 786ex 1.6ghz, 512MB ram , AntiX 8.5 core, Biker Linux user # 475019
Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
My AntiX LXDE Install
Subito Piano

Post by Subito Piano »

I really like Sunflower - but it will not remember the "Silent Mode." It's enough to drive you nuts when doing multiple moves or copies from one pane to the other, as it asks for confirmation of each individual file. (Solutions, anyone?)

I ended up using Gnome Commander AND keeping PCManFM. IDK how heavy it GC is, i figure it's a lot lighter than Nautilus, and it's quite customizable... :-/
"God is love" --I John 4:12
nomko

Post by nomko »

Subito Piano wrote:I ended up using Gnome Commander AND keeping PCManFM
Does Gnome Commander work flawless under Lubuntu? No problems between Gnome Commander (whch is basically a Gnome app) and LXDE? Or does it install all needed dependecies?
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*RaLink RT2500 802.11g*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router
Subito Piano

Post by Subito Piano »

Gnome-Commander works fine for me, very adjustable, spend a little time playing with it to learn the tricks. I "think" it needed no dependencies i didn't already have. If you use Synaptic to install it or any other package, mark the package for instaqllation and it will immmediately warn you of any dependencies it will install along with it. You can make a screenshot of that list and uninstall the package and all dependencies that came wtih it and you are right back where you started, nice and easy.
"God is love" --I John 4:12