[SOLVED] Trash-1000 can't delete files

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
leunam12

[SOLVED] Trash-1000 can't delete files

Post by leunam12 »

Hi, i'm new to LXDE, I have an Arch system with LXDE and I'm having problems with files going to a hidden folder ".Trash-1000" when I delete them. I have only seen this on files that are on USB flash drive. I delete the fies and they go to this trash-1000 folder. If I press Ctrl+H to show hidden files, I can see the folders and the files in it but if I attempt to delete them they come back. Is there a fix for this or a way around it?

Thanks

Manuel
Last edited by leunam12 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex Bouwense

Re: Trash-1000 can't delete files

Post by Rex Bouwense »

If you cannot delete the files in .Trash-1000, can you delete the .Trash-1000 file itself? I'm not sure how it got on your hard drive. Are these files that were once on a USB flash drive that you deleted?
Rex
leunam12

Post by leunam12 »

The files are on the USB stick. Sorry I didn't explain myself very well. They are on the USB stick including the .trash-1000 folder, everything is there and it doesn't go away. I put the stick in my Ubuntu computer and deleted the files from there, I'm going to try again when I get home to see if I can delete the .trash-1000 folder from LXDE.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Got it. Go to trash on your desktop or panel or where ever it is located and empty trash. Then the files on the flash drive will be deleted as well. I'm sorry I got confused.
The .Trash-1000 files are normally on the flash drive and it gets emptied when you empty the trash on the hard drive. (At least that is what I was led to believe and it has been working that way for me in Lubuntu, which obviously uses LXDE). The next time you mount the flash drive the trash will be gone.
Rex
leunam12

Post by leunam12 »

Oh, good. Thank you.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Glad you got it worked out. Please mark you thread as solved for those that come after us.
Rex
JimCameron

Re: [SOLVED] Trash-1000 can't delete files

Post by JimCameron »

Long Path Tool helped me in this situation. http://LongPathTool.com
Rex Bouwense

Re: [SOLVED] Trash-1000 can't delete files

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I don't believe that your proposed solution would apply here. The OP was trying to delete files on the flash drive in the hidden trash file. If you do not delete them before you unmount the flash drive they are saved in the hidden trash file. The file itself takes up virtually no space when it is empty. However, thank you very much for your input.
Rex