How to view folders and files in alphabetical order

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
schlossblick

How to view folders and files in alphabetical order

Post by schlossblick »

First of all: Hello to everyone of this forum,

I use lxde on ubuntu 12.04, yet after returning to pcmanfm after a short affair with nautilus on my netbook, the files and folders seem to be set in utterly arbitrary order. I've already checked the settings, and they tell me that files and folders ought to be set in alphabetical order. What's happened and - more important - what can I do?

Kind regards,
schlossblick
Rex Bouwense

Re: How to view folders and files in alphabetical order

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forums. Have you tried the easy solution of clicking the name block of your files which should place your files in alphabetical order? You may have accidentally clicked another column.
Rex
schlossblick

Post by schlossblick »

Hello Rex,

thank you very much for your immediate answer. I've already tried as you suggested, yet for some reason I solved the problem differently (at least on my desktop computer): First I placed the files and folders in order according to their last date of change, reloaded the window and placed them in alphabetical order once again - and it actually worked...
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Well, glad you got a solution and I'm very happy that you posted it for others to use if necessary. Stick with us. We are trying to make these forums better for all users of LXDE operating systems.
Rex
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Another solution: Open pcmanfm - go to View>Sort Files, check "By File Type".
schlossblick

Post by schlossblick »

Seppalta, thank you very much for this alternative approach.

Rex, thank you very much for this invitation I'm quite inclined to accept, even though I really don't know how much I'll be able to contribute, since I'm the typical end-user (as much as that term applies to a linux user, at least). I guess the majority of my posts will rather deal with problems and questions I came across than with constructive solutions or any kind of advice...

Yet, one thing I forgot to mention with my solution is that everything was in alphabetical order but the 'samples' folder (or however it's called in the English version) - this one was the last folder in line despite the fact that it should have been the second one. It's not much of a problem any longer, since I deleted it, but yet, it's a kind of (at least to me) unexplainable stain on my approach...

Kind regards,
schlossblick
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Contributions can be made in many ways. No question is stupid or trivial. We are trying to make this forum a place for all LXDE users no matter what OS they are using. You are more than welcome to log on and contribute when you can or just log on and read the responses to learn. That is what I did for a long time. Welcome again.
Rex