[SOLVED] Geometry of lxterminal in pcmanfm

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
David

[SOLVED] Geometry of lxterminal in pcmanfm

Post by David »

Hi. I use fully updated Arch with LXDE, and I want to use a terminal with 15 lines and 108 columns.

- If I set up lxterminal --geometry 108x15 (without quotes) in pcmanfm, the geometry is right when I open a .desktop shortcut that uses terminal (for example, octave), but if I open the current folder in terminal in pcmanfm then the terminal opens with the standard geometry, I think it's 80x25.

- If I set up 'lxterminal --geometry 108x15' (with quotes) the terminal opens with the right geometry if I open the current folder in terminal in pcmanfm, but then I can't open shortcuts (error message in Spanish: Fallo al ejecutar el proceso hijo <<lxterminal --geometry=108x15>>)

I haven't found a right nomenclature to sucesfully open both terminal and .desktop shotcuts from pcmanfm. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.
Last edited by David on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
hsutherl

Re: Geometry of lxterminal in pcmanfm

Post by hsutherl »

[Edit] Try

Code: Select all

update-alternatives --help
before using the convoluted method described below - Hugh
---
Hi David,

I just started using Linux Mint LXDE. The Mint team appears to have tweaked LXDE quite a bit, so ymmv on this solution. In my search for a way to get a larger lxterminal from the menus, I ran across this explanation in the FAQ right here at LXDE.org. But what does he mean by whatever your admin chooses? I thought I was the admin!

So eventually I discovered that /etc/alternatives contains x-terminal-emulator. This is set up as a link to /usr/bin/lxterminal.

What I did was to
  • Put a text file named lxt with contents "lxterminal --geometry=128x40" in /usr/bin, and make it executable
  • changed the link in /etc/alternatives to point to /usr/bin/lxt
This changed most of the menus in my system to use the new size, and the one from PCManFM as well. So it appears that many of the applications use this definition of x-terminal-emulator. (I think the only one that didn't change was the one next to my "start button", which is controlled by ~/.config/openbox/mintlxde-rc.xml. Obviously that one won't be present on Arch.)

If you need to change just the PCManFM terminal behavior and leave the others alone, I cannot help.

-Hugh
David

Re: Geometry of lxterminal in pcmanfm

Post by David »

Thank you for you detailed answer, Hugh.

Unfortunately I don't have update-alternatives in Arch, I think it's only in debian-based distros (debian, ubuntu, mint,...). However I've solved my problem with a different approach, I've installed gnome-terminal (which includes personalized geometries in their profile preferences) and use it in the pcmanfm preferences instead of lxterminal. Now all my terminals open in 108x15.

Mark this problem as solved.