"extract here" button don't work anymore

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
NZ75

"extract here" button don't work anymore

Post by NZ75 »

hello everybody,
I'm an italian user of the great LXDE; I use it in my Archlinux box.
Recently Archlinux has dropped ConsoleKit and moved to logind:
https://www.archlinux.org/news/consolek ... by-logind/

After this the "extract here" button in PCManFM menu don't work anymore.... you click but nothing happens.
PCManFM version is 1.1.0 and the installed archive manager is file-roller 3.6.1 (from Gnome 3.6)
I also tried the last version of xarchiver instead of file-roller but I got the same issue
both file-roller and xarchiver still work fine stand-alone but there is no integration in PCManFM menu

someone else has the same problem? any idea on how to fix it?
Thanks!!
NZ75

Re: "extract here" button don't work anymore

Post by NZ75 »

just tested the new Lubuntu 12.10 with PCManFM 1.0.1 and file-roller 3.6:
"extract here" don't work!

I don't know *ubuntu systems but don't think they moved to systemd/logind like Archlinux;
if they don't then I suppose the problem is something that has been introduced by Gnome 3.6
David

Post by David »

I have the same problem, also with archlinux, pcmanfm and file-roller. I have 2 options in the pcmanfm menu opened with right mouse button, 'extract here' doesn't work (it says something about <<null>> folder) but 'extract to' seems to work fine for me.
SantaFe88

Post by SantaFe88 »

David wrote:I have the same problem, also with archlinux, pcmanfm and file-roller. I have 2 options in the pcmanfm menu opened with right mouse button, 'extract here' doesn't work (it says something about <<null>> folder) but 'extract to' seems to work fine for me.
Just to be different, but the same I get the same thing as well. Extract Here Errors out, Extract To works fine. Different part is, I'm using Xubuntu 12.10 with Xfce & LXDE DE's.

BTW: It does the same in BOTH DE's. ;)
NZ75

Post by NZ75 »

same here!
extract-here don't work but extract-to works fine
I'm :? and I'd like to understand if this is a PCMan fault, file-roller fault or whatever else
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I do not use Arch and I really hate when I have a problem with an application and someone tells me to use another application instead of how to fix the problem that I have. That being said, there is an application with a smaller foot print that should do the same thing that file roller does ( alternate xarchiver). I have not used it but got it from here:
http://lxlinux.com/#19
That of course does not provide you with a solution but merely information.
Rex
NZ75

Post by NZ75 »

hi Rex
are you talking on Squeeze? if yes then I already tested it and got the same error.
BTW, the last version of Squeeze was released on Feb. 2008, I think would be better to drop it in any case.
Changing the archive manager the problem persists so I suppose it depends on PCManFM itself or systemd or
missing consolekit or whatever else has been introduced by Gnome 3.6
I hope this bug will be fixed in short time.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

OK. Something is really screwy here. I am using Lubuntu which of course uses PCMan. I do not use an archive aplication because I never felt the need to use one. Just as a test Icreated an archive and then extracted it without a hitch. I believe that I am using the latest PCMan (1.0.1). It seems odd that you using Archlinux cannot get it to extract. We are both using lxde.
Rex
NZ75

Post by NZ75 »

I tested Lubuntu (last version 12.10) and I got the same problem..... really strange....
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I did check Launchpad and there has been a bug reported and confirmed on 21 October 2012.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1069611
Rex