Column width in detailed view

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
domi

Column width in detailed view

Post by domi »

linked to
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p ... tid=801867
Many colums are too wide (name, description...), forcing you to open larger Pcmanfm windows and wasting precious desktop space. They can be adjusted manually but Pcmanfm does not remember adjustments upon re-opening (i.e. it is useless). Suggestion: make Pcmanfm remember column widths (or put those in .config/pcmanfm/configfile so that we can edit them manually).

Also, minimum width cannot be shorter than columne title. DESCRIPTION columns cannot be narrowed much. Please change name to TYPE or abbreviate AND make Pcmanfm remember width. Thanks for all your efforts. I know you are volunteers.
?? did i missed a feature
?? is this feature upgrade planned for future releases

The main problem is with the DESCRIPTION column
this column as a very large title ("type" would be better as "description" as said by pierre C
and it as even larger content
it unlarge itself "randomly" taking all the window space
when you bump on large description like "microsoft word document"
moving the usefull size and date columns OUTSIDE the windows

it will be very usefull if you could select AND SAVE one or more of this options
* disable auto enlarging (yes/no) and save the column width
* column order (between name, size, date, type, ...) (from left to right)
* visible column (yes/no for each column)
Rex Bouwense

Re: Column width in detailed view

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Not aware if it is, but it would be nice to have. It doesn't look like it has a high priority and it appears not to be assigned yet.
Rex
humpty

Re: Column width in detailed view

Post by humpty »

Yeah I think this my most annoying gripe too. Everythnig else is nice and has been improving over the years. But the Description column is next to useless since most files have extensions nowadays. (It's funny how the 8+3 habit stuck with us since the DOS days).
I even think the size column is more important but we can't move it to the left ?
Lubuntu Tips