Problem with desktop icons.

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
rolgiati

Problem with desktop icons.

Post by rolgiati »

Hope this is the right place, if not accept my grovelling apologies.

I am new to LXDE, having renounced KDE, its pomps and its works (and bloat), and been using Mandrake / Mandriva / Mageia for 15 years.

On my newly installed Mageia3, with LXDE, I have the following problem:

- Yesterday, the desktop icons were in columns, left of the screen, and whenever I tried to move one it would fall back at the bottom of the right-most column; I suppose this means something is locked, and I have not been able to find how to unlock. Is there a way ? (I suppose they can, as I know they are unlocked on another LXDE, on my Raspberry PI).

- And this morning, even worse, whenever I try to move an icon on the desktop, it just disappears ! (although it is still there in pcmanfm, when I look at ~/Desktop.) Any idea why ?
Rex Bouwense

Re: Problem with desktop icons.

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Interesting. I am using Lubuntu, which of course uses LXDE, I normally keep a clean desktop. However, I have just created three desktop icons and have moved them around on the desktop without incident. I am not aware of a lock to keep them in place but perhaps someone else is. By the way, welcome to the lxde forum. I think you will like lxde. It is less resource intensive than kde.
Rex
vasa1

Post by vasa1 »

Rex Bouwense wrote:Interesting. I am using Lubuntu, which of course uses LXDE, I normally keep a clean desktop. However, I have just created three desktop icons and have moved them around on the desktop without incident. I am not aware of a lock to keep them in place but perhaps someone else is. By the way, welcome to the lxde forum. I think you will like lxde. It is less resource intensive than kde.
@Rex, I'm relatively new to Lubuntu (and to LXDE), but I too had some "odd" experiences with PCManFM's handling of the desktop. I keep my "to-do" items on the desktop so that I'm reminded to deal with them. I'm not using PCManFM right now but there is or was some sort of locking in existence.

Let's say you have a few desktop icons on the LHS of your desktop. Drag one to the RHS lower corner. Depending on somethings I didn't quite figure out, the icon may stay there or not. Also, on my Lubuntu 13.04, there's a file (~/.config/pcmanfm/lubuntu/desktop-items-0.conf) that stores the moved icon's location.

I don't know if a similar file exists on OP's OS and whether its relevant or not. Just throwing it in there :)
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Vasa 1, you are too modest. You have probably forgot more about Linux OS than I ever learned or will learn. Anyway, look what I finally found:
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM#Setup
This may or may not provide any assistance. One of these days I promise that I am going to organize all thses bookmarks that I have so they can provide me with some sort of system of passing on information. My system as of this minute could probably be classified as no system. In other words - no organization.
Rex
vasa1

Post by vasa1 »

Rex Bouwense wrote:... You have probably forgot more about Linux OS than I ever learned or will learn. Anyway, look what I finally found:
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM#Setup
This may or may not provide any assistance. One of these days I promise that I am going to organize all thses bookmarks that I have so they can provide me with some sort of system of passing on information. My system as of this minute could probably be classified as no system. In other words - no organization.
Rex, don't be misled by the date I joined the Ubuntu Forums. I really started using Linux in mid-2010, first with Ubuntu, then a while with Xfce added on and then with the lubuntu desktop added on (late in 12.04). 12.10 was my first pure Lubuntu. So I really am new to Lubuntu :D but keen to learn.

I find Openbox fantastic and Lubuntu's philosophy of keep things light agrees with me (and my laptop).

I agree that managing bookmarks is a pain. My latest approach is to have one "mega" bookmark list (derived from my various browsers) maintained in Leafpad. So each line has a link with what I hope are relevant tags or phrases. I use Ctrl+F to (hopefully) find what I want. So there's no organization at all. The links are in the order in which I come across them.