PCManFM & Open as root

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
rbdflyboy

PCManFM & Open as root

Post by rbdflyboy »

after researching, have come to the conclusion this feature has been removed from the dropdown menu. Tried to activate "open as root" using the instructions listed in Section 2 of the online Linux LXDE Guide (which is awesome)... no success. With no disrespected intended, the informatiom may be outdated because of the changes made to PCManFM's current version. Without this option enabled editing with PCManFM is not an option anymore. There are other workarounds online and am hesitant to use them,
unless directed to do so from here.

For example Edit>Preferences>Advanced dialogue box does not contain the option Switch user command box,now, it contains Format Command. This is where gksu%s is placed.
Archiver integration contains xarchiver and not (xarchiver?)...used default "xarchiver"
In step 3.../,/user/share/applications,/user/share/icons network storage devices...is this the correct way to add the bookmark? Left out the "and all" because it wasn't bolded.
Thank you in advance
seppalta

Re: PCManFM & Open as root

Post by seppalta »

Without this option enabled editing with PCManFM is not an option anymore
Ya, sometimes app upgrades are more like "downgrades" - one of Pcmanfm's most useful features and they removed it. However, it is easy to remedy. Use leafpad to open pcmanfm.desktop in /usr/shares/applications and copy it. Then paste this copy onto an open page of leafpad and edit the exec to exec=gksu pcmanfm. Name it pcmanfm-root and save it to /usr/share/applications. Now you have a second
pcmanfm that opens root files. If you have lxmed installed, you can use it to create .desktop files in general. Also, you might like to read Section 11 in http://lxlinux.com/#11. I also create a leafpad-root to directly open root text files similarly.
is this the correct way to add the bookmark
Add bookmarks by opening directory you want bookmarked and clicking "Add to Bookmarks" in "Bookmarks" in pcmanfm's heading.
rbdflyboy

Post by rbdflyboy »

Have the first part done. In /user/share/applications there is no Pcmanfm icon. To get around this placed Pcmanfm on the desktop,opened it with leafpad, copy>paste>edit>save as...Pcmanfm-root. all good. Now can't move it from desktop to /user/share/applications....tried dragging, copy/paste...always permission denied. Tried to do it from thr lxterminal and get a pop up when inputing gksu asking which program to run.
There's an old saying..."when one is having a hard time,trying to have a good time...it's time to move on" That applies here. I'll be looking for another distro that is actually user friendly...am a patient guy...can only take so much
rbdflyboy

Post by rbdflyboy »

Now the boot loader is broken and can't get back to XP....the arrow keys are inop....looks like linux just broke two of my computers
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

You wouldn't be Irish would you? Anyway, repair the boot loader.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
Don't really think that Linux was the evil doer, but you never know. ;)
Rex
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

looks like linux just broke two of my computers]
:D Not sure what you mean by "broke my computer". Computers are hard to brake without physical damage occurring. As for your Linux operating system, it can be always fixed by doing a re-install, but I'm 99% sure nothing is really damaged there either. Learning comes most easily in small steps. I suggest you try to assimilate some of the information in http://lxlinux.com/introduction.html, which basically applies to most Linux systems. Then come back here and tell us what you would like to do first. We can go from there in small steps.
rbdflyboy

Post by rbdflyboy »

to be fair...wound up opening the lxterm and ran sudo apt-get update when that completed ran sudo update-grub...restarted and can access XP again.
Just looking for something that works...don't mind fixing the odd thing here and there...don't want to have to keep fighting the OS. Here's a little backround...spent 30 yrs. fixing and troubleshooting aircraft and related systems...considered as one of the top troubleshooters in my field (firebombing-cargo hauling). You may notice, hardly ever use the word (I), the reason for this is, am trained to be technically correct and follow instructions to the letter. Give instructions the same way because the people under me needed to know and understand in absolutly correct terms how to proceed. Have trained people (men and women) in Europe, Africa, Camada and the US. In my world there was and is no margine for error...it's either right or it's wrong.
The way this OS is set up now makes me feel handcuffed. Don't have the knowledge base or experience yet to get thru all the workarounds. So in light of this it may be better to try something else where the basics are already set up and good to go.
Sorry for wasting your time.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Roger that. Hope that you find what you are looking for. Remember this is a forum for the LXDE (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment), not an operating system. Perhaps 45 or more Operating Systems use this desktop environment. It is not unique to Lubuntu (which is basically although not entirely Ubuntu with LXDE), but is also found in Debian, PCLinuxOS, Android, Fedora, Arch Linux, and obviously a host of others. There are also approximately 350 different Linux distributions that exist at any one time. People use LXDE because they do not want "all of the bells and whistles" that exist and because of that it is extremely fast. It is also great for older computers. That is not to say that LXDE is not extremely configurable because it is. Sorry to loose you but you have to do what is best for you.
Rex
drooly

Post by drooly »

rbdflyboy wrote:The way this OS is set up now makes me feel handcuffed. ... So in light of this it may be better to try something else where the basics are already set up and good to go.
it just might be that the handcuffed feeling comes from lubuntu's attempt to be "user friendly".
in other words, you might get more out of a user-centric system - maybe a tad harder to get started, but much more freedom to Do Things (tm). no handcuffs.
fwiw, i'm using arch linux (great wiki!) + openbox and a few more apps that are also part of lxde - but not the lxde desktop environment as such - and it's very stable and i have every freedom i need to get around.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Arch Linux, an excellent choice. I do know that PCMan releases 0.4 through 1.1 had the option of opening a file as root. It was removed for security reasons in version 1.2 according to the PCMan wiki. However, again according to the wiki, you can (at your own risk) add that feature to your system.
See the wiki at
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM#Run_as_root
The elimination of this feature was filed as a bug report
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1290101
and was rightfully rejected since it is not a bug but rather an elimination of a previously included feature for security reasons. Since you are all big boys/girls you may include it if you so desire (once again at your own risk.)
Rex