Change mimetype icon

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
Danixu86

Change mimetype icon

Post by Danixu86 »

Hi, first of all i'm sorry for my english.

My question is about how to change file icons in mimetypes like pdf, doc, xls... I've tried to search in google for a long time trying some things and i've tried assogiate too, but i can't change that icons.

Someone knows how i can change a mimetype icon?

Thanks!!
Rex Bouwense

Re: Change mimetype icon

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Rex
Danixu86

Post by Danixu86 »

Sorry for take so long, i was bussy. That is the only that i've not done :D, i did something similar but didn't work, then i've avoid that.

I'll report my feedback ;)

Thanks!!
vasa1

Post by vasa1 »

I could be wrong here but because of "My question is about how to change file icons in mimetypes like pdf, doc, xls...", I think OP just wants to replace some existing icons with others. If that is so, OP will have to locate where such icons are stored.

In Lubuntu, icon themes are in /usr/share/icons. In there, there are folders for the various icon themes available. I see:

Code: Select all

/usr/share/icons $ ls
default    DOCS     HighContrast   locolor             Tango
DMZ-Black  gnome    Humanity       lubuntu
DMZ-White  hicolor  Humanity-Dark  Lubuntu-dark-panel
/usr/share/icons $ 
If I look within the lubuntu folder, there are various categories:

Code: Select all

/usr/share/icons/lubuntu $ ls
actions     apps        devices  icon-theme.cache  mimes  places  symbolic
animations  categories  emblems  index.theme       panel  status
/usr/share/icons/lubuntu $
Note the mimes folder. That's where you find the icons you wish to change. I'm assuming you have some replacement icons. First backup the mimes folder and then sudo mv the appropriately named and sized icons you want into each of the subfolders.

I have done exactly that but my icon theme is in ~/.icons so that I don't need sudo.

If OP is using Wine the above may not apply. I have no idea about Wine.
vasa1

Post by vasa1 »

In case anyone is curious, I wanted to learn a little about svg which is the format used in the Lubuntu icon set. The nice thing about svg is that it's very easy to take apart and examine. I did that for some of the "heavier" icons. For example, /usr/share/icons/lubuntu/mimes/24/audio-x-generic.svg is 35.6 kiB. By editing the svg file I brought it down to just to 461 bytes; I did that by "scouring" the svg file and then removing various aspects that weren't important to me. So most of my icons are minimal with a "symbolic" look.