Password won't get saved properly/as it should be

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
Joni

Password won't get saved properly/as it should be

Post by Joni »

Hello,

at the moment for me it's not possible to save the password of a smb-connection. I use PCManFM on Raspbian and I can access the desired network-address, but the specific password only gets saved till the next reboot of the system, although the appropriate checkbox is marked.

What am I doing wrong? Do You have any idea to solve this? Thank You in advance!
Best regards

Joni
drooly

Re: Password won't get saved properly/as it should be

Post by drooly »

Joni wrote:the specific password only gets saved till the next reboot of the system
I'm pretty sure that's a (security) feature, and not a bug.

you could start using a paswsword manager like keepassx or keepassxc so you don't have to remember long & nonsensical passwords.

edit:
there are options to securely mount network drives at boot, but i don't know how to do it for smb (which is a windows thing afaik).
Joni

Post by Joni »

Hi drooly,

thank You very much for your help!

Security feature - so why is it possible to mark the appropriate option?

The second option, I guess, is for what You meant, isn't it? The marked third option should save the password even if I reboot raspbian. Am I wrong in my understanding of the given options?
Attachments
Passwort nie vergessen.PNG
(173.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Best regards

Joni
drooly

Post by drooly »

Joni wrote:Security feature - so why is it possible to mark the appropriate option?

The marked third option should save the password even if I reboot raspbian. Am I wrong in my understanding of the given options?
i guess you're right.
you should ask on the raspbian forums, there's too many unknowns for me.
Joni

Post by Joni »

drooly wrote:you should ask on the raspbian forums, there's too many unknowns for me.
Thank You, I'll do so (and if I get a helpful answer and I remember I will inform You here as well :) )
Best regards

Joni
mtmcdonough

Post by mtmcdonough »

Hi, Joni. I have the same issue with username and password not being saved on reboot with PCManFM. I have had no success looking for an answer on the Raspberry Pi forums. Did you find a solution? Thank!
mtmcdonough

Post by mtmcdonough »

Joni: I found a solution to having your username and password saved across reboots on the pi device.

In our case, we had a mount command for our network share in the /etc/fstab file. The mount command can either specify the username and password for the share or can point to a file where those credentials are kept.

Our mount command pointed to a file /.smbcredentials. The only thing I had to do was enter the username and password needed into that file.

Then on reboot, the mount command pointed to the proper credentials and we were connected.

This may not apply to your needs but it worked for us. A Raspberry pi tech said that he thought PCManFM will not remember the username and password through a reboot no matter what box you checked. Good luck.
Joni

Post by Joni »

Hi mtmcdonough,

thank You very much for your help! The notification e-mails were marked as spam so I was not notified about your answers here directly.

I'll test your workaround this week and I will tell you, if it works for me also.

Thank you very much!
Best regards

Joni
Joni

Post by Joni »

Hi mtmcdonough,

I understand what should be done, but until now I was not able to configure it right. Is it important where the .smbcredentials gets saved?

Another thing is: I guess I do sth. wrong when I add the specific line in fstab, maybe only one false character. I have to do more tests.
Best regards

Joni