Desktop launcher icon mix-up

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
jsampe

Desktop launcher icon mix-up

Post by jsampe »

Hello everyone

I'm quite new to linux and after installing Lubuntu on my laptop, I noticed that the trash Icon could not be added to the desktop. Even though this was a minor nuisance, I spent a lot of time trying to fix it to no avail. The problem is that, during my last attempt, a new and worse problem has appeared.

I tried to create a shortcut to the trash folder in the desktop by using the ln -s terminal command like the following:

ln -s trash:/// /home/username/Desktop

This created a launcher icon, and upon double-clicking it, a window prompted me to choose the program to associate to that file extension in particular and I chose the files app PCManFM-Qt. I then double clicked several times the folder and nothing happenned. After that, I just deleted the launcher icon with right click and 'send to trash', and a window informed me of an error saying something about the chosen folder not exisiting or something like that. The thing is that, from that point on, whenever I download anything from Chromium and I click on "show in folder" after the file has been downloaded (I think that's the translation, my version is in Spanish), Lubuntu automatically opens the download folder and, for some mysterious reason, the trash folder as well. I have tried uninstalling chromium and re-installing it and the problem persists. I downloaded another browser (chrome) and the same problem happens with it.

Is there anything that I can do to stop this?, It's not that big of a deal but it's kind of annoying, and I would like to know how did I trigger such an effect.

Thanks for your help
drooly

Re: Desktop launcher icon mix-up

Post by drooly »

jsampe wrote:ln -s trash:/// /home/username/Desktop
you cannot mix terminal commands with gui-only fuse stuff like that.
This created a launcher icon, and upon double-clicking it, a window prompted me to choose the program to associate to that file extension in particular and I chose the files app PCManFM-Qt.
i'm quite surprised the command didn't just fail, or create worse havoc.

i actually just tried it on an LXDE desktop and it created an invalid symlink named 'trash:'.

so i suspect you did a little more.
whatever it was, you need to undo it.
sorry i can't be more specific.

maybe show us

Code: Select all

ls -al /home/username/Desktop
though I doubt it'll help.