Changing the icon of a particular file type at once

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
fbarbuto

Changing the icon of a particular file type at once

Post by fbarbuto »

Hello,

This is a long-lived and recurrent question I never had satisfactorily answered.

I have a folder where I save files from some type, say, Fortran 90 files, which have the extension .f90. Or Matlab/Octave files, which bear the extension .m.

In PCManFM the files of the above type are all shown with the very same ugly and vanilla icon, the one for text files. I might right click a file and change its icon as I usually do in another file manager. But that doesn't seem to work with PCManFM and, even if it would, I would have to do that for each file individually. And since I have tens of Fortran or Matlab files this operation would take hours to finish.

Is there a way to change the icon of all files associated to a particular file type all at once and to make this association "stick" to that file type so that newly created Fortran, Matlab, etc, files get that icon immediately as soon as they're created?

Thanks.
drooly

Re: Changing the icon of a particular file type at once

Post by drooly »

It is not specific to pcmanfm or LXDE.
It has something to do with mimetypes...
This Q&A seems to have the info you want, but it's a few years old; maybe you need to search more.