Vote: Future of PCManFM (Very important!!)

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM

Select the VFS implementation for future PCManFM.

Poll ended at Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:01 pm

Shift to gio/gvfs, accept gnome dependencies it brings, and try to maximize performance or try to fork gvfs to create a less gnome-dependent gvfs implementation.
59%
Shift to thunar-vfs, and accept all XFCE dependencies it brings.
13%
Fork thunar-vfs (Thunar will be using GIO/GVFS, and we'll need to maintain all of these by ourselves later)
21%
Write our own vfs (Only select this if you're willing to join the development or you know someone who can help. Otherwise choosing this option is not constructive... After all, who is going to do the coding?)
8%

Total votes: 376

FLACvest

Re: Vote: Future of PCManFM (Very important!!)

Post by FLACvest »

I use Xfce Primarily, and enjoy LXDE as well, when I want something 'Different' but I enjoy PCManFM, and as I am comfortable with Thunar moving to to gvfs/gio, I am also comfortable having PCManFM moving to gvfs/gio... Perhaps gvfs/gio can be "fixed" upstream to be free of GNOME dependencies one day, and become a FreeDesktop.org "standard" or somesuch...
booley

Post by booley »

Hm... may be try skvm?

http://tools.suckless.org/skvm
skottish

Post by skottish »

I'm one of those people that constantly compile out Gnome dependencies out of programs. The only program that I need from the Gnome project is Evince, and I'm the maintainer of the evince-gtk package for Arch Linux ( http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=24416 ). The relatively long patch that's included in that package is to rid as much as Gnome as possible. The few system libraries that I use do the same.

The movement in both Gnome and the freedesktop.org specification to to dumb down the system from a user standpoint is troubling. +1 for avoiding Gnome dependencies, even if that means using code from XFCE. We now have PolicyKit and ConsoleKit, which both suck. Having the added suckiness of Gnome is enough to stop using any program.

Please attempt to keep PCManFM from being tied into Gnome libraries. All of us that don't use a DE would greatly appreciate it.

I'll post a link back to this thread in the Arch Linux forums. There are many people there that use PCManFM and feel the same way that I do. Hopefully by posting some coders over there will come in and join the project.
Last edited by skottish on Sun May 31, 2009 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chriswaterguy

Post by Chriswaterguy »

I don't understand enough to vote intelligently, but I'll comment:
* I love that PCManFM automatically reads any device. When I spent a lot of time running on a Mandriva GNOME LiveCD and wanted to access the files on my laptop, I would install PCManFM from thumb drive, as Nautilus would not access these files. Maybe this is what you mean by "remote filesystems".
* I also love the speed.
* I would like to have a "Trash" rather than permanent deletion, but I know there are workarounds for this, and it doesn't bother me much, as now I know to be careful.
* I can understand the frustration at the loss of backwards compatibility - sounds like it makes deeper divisions between the different distros too, which is unfortunate.
dedhart

Post by dedhart »

I wish I could help with the development, I really would like to see LXDE stay Gnome free. I wish the devs at freedesktop.org would realize that there are more desktops than simply Gnome and KDE out there. Seems like Gnome is constantly trying to force their crap on us, well I for one would hate to see us lose this battle to the Gnome devs. I wouldn't mind if you took code from XFCE, perhaps we could both help out each other, but PLEASE draw a line in the sand right here and tell the Gnome devs we've had enough!
edward

Post by edward »

I voted for #1 also. Having too many issues with XFCE, would rather not see anything from XFCE included.
Debian Sid - LXDE
shin

Post by shin »

PCMan wrote:If we're going to use GIO/GVFS (quite possible), maybe we can start a new project aiming at creating a gnome-free fork of GVFS. Maybe it can be named gvfs-lite or gvfs-gf (gf means gnome-free, lol). In this way we have advantages of gio/gvfs, and can get rid of gnome dependencies. Cooperation with XFCE guys is possible since they also want to use gio/gvfs but hate gnome dependencies very much.

What do you think?

This is a balanced idea which I think is the best choice over that 4 choices.
johnraff

Post by johnraff »

From a user's point of view:
I voted for 2 but reading the other posts I can now see the case for 1.
Anyway, I agree it might be productive to talk to the XFCE people (I'm using XFCE right now) and try to co-operate on developing gnome-free, or gnome-light, material.
Metsger

Post by Metsger »

I think that PCManFM must use own vfs or cleaned Thunar-VFS as independed project ( and make it together with thunar developers). Gnome-VFS is very fat, Thunar-VFS is not proof of concept.
Gusions

Post by Gusions »

use thunar!