Update: Current status of PCManFM

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
PCMan

Update: Current status of PCManFM

Post by PCMan »

Hi all,
I'm the main developer of PCManFM.
There were no new releases recently, and some bugs are not fixed.
Besides, most of the mails sent to me were not replied.
Sorry for this, but my mail box is currently full of mails and I'm not able to read all of them.
Somtimes, mails are incorrectly categorized due to my incorrect gmail filter settings and
they could be missing.
I'd like to say sorry if anyone of you had ever sent some mails to me and never got replied.
There are really too many mails.
I'm also get involved in some other popular projects like IE Tab extension for Firefox.
Actually, I'm the original creator of that extension, but I already quited the development.
There are "a lot of" mails from the users of various projects for bug reports and feature requests.
Too many mails. Really! Besides, I'm now working in the hospital and was extremely busy again.
Please post the questions in forums or mailing list instead of mailing me directly.
Recently, I'm not able to reply most of the mails.

OK, regarding to the development, there are some currenly ongoing processes.
1. We are breaking gtk+ 2.6 compatiblity, and trying to migrate to gtk+ 2.12.
Dialogs are now created with GtkBuilder, but this requires more tests.
2. Volume mounting should be improved in the next release.
Some studies were done for this recently, but the real coding is not yet started.
3. Code clean up
4. Remote file system support was temporarily removed in 0.5 because it's too buggy, and
there are many problems in smbnetfs. We have to fix them first.
5. The file search utility seems to be broken. Sorry for this since it's not well-tested before release.
Help is needed in this part since I don't have time to fix it now.
6. Some other studies are done secretly, but most of them are failed, so they didn't get into svn.

The project is still under development, but there are no new successful stuff.
So, only minor changes can be seen in the svn, but we'll keep studying.
Thank you all for supporting us. Patches are welcomed.
Please post the patches in the tracker on sourceforge.net and don't send them to me directly.
Then this can be handled by other developers if I'm too busy. (I'm always too busy, you know!)
delirium

Re: Update: Current status of PCManFM

Post by delirium »

Thanks for your work!
firmit

Post by firmit »

Excellent - I must say, this post was highly appreciated. Though, somewhat disturbing! I really hope you, or somebody else, find more time devoting to the(this) project!

I would also encourage a similar approach for the other components, not necessarily by PCMan, but by one of the other developers whom have insight and overview of the respective components - a status update for lxpanel, lx* etc.

In this way, we get a first-hand update - the users get to know who is the main developers of each component, and how the development is going. Hopefully, it is on-going - and not halted :) IMO this may be one of the biggest advantages of forums - to have an open dialogue among the users[me] and the developers[pcman] :)
thenktor

Post by thenktor »

PCMan wrote: 5. The file search utility seems to be broken. Sorry for this since it's not well-tested before release.
Help is needed in this part since I don't have time to fix it now.
At first I'd like to thank for one of the few great file managers.

And now a suggestion: Why not drop the whole search thing? Just use catfish for this task. It's a small and powerful tool, which could be started by pcmanfm.
http://www.twotoasts.de/index.php?/page ... mmary.html
burnCDDA (burns M3U playlists in a terminal)
last.fm (my last.fm profile)
Zenwalk (I'm a Zenwalk Linux packager)