lxdesession and screensaver

The standard session manager used by LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXSession
bacon and eggs

lxdesession and screensaver

Post by bacon and eggs »

Hi there,

i run a virtual linux instance (ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64) in VirtualBox. My DE of choice is LXDM, no modifications such as different WM.

As this is a virtual machine, I do not need a screensaver, and tried to turn it off with xscreensaver-demo (Preferences -> Screensaver). It gives me a warning about the ~/.xscreensaver file not belonging to the process:

Code: Select all

Warning:

xscreensaver-demo is running as user "root" on host "ubuntu".
But the xscreensaver managing display ":0.0"
is running as user "nobody" on host "ubuntu".

Since they are different users, they won't be reading/writing
the same ~/.xscreensaver file, so xscreensaver-demo isn't
going to work right.

You should either re-run xscreensaver-demo as "nobody", or re-run
xscreensaver as "root".

Restart the xscreensaver daemon now?

[Cancel] [OK]
ps auxf shows that it is indeed run as nobody, started by lxsession:

Code: Select all

root      1146  0.0  0.1  20868  1372 ?        Ss   14:31   0:00  \_ /usr/bin/lxsession -s LXDE -e LXDE
root      1211  0.0  0.0  11936   144 ?        Ss   14:31   0:00      \_ /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session startlxde
root      1221  0.0  0.5 102084  5280 ?        S    14:31   0:00      \_ openbox --config-file /root/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml
nobody    1224  0.0  0.1  56408  1780 ?        S    14:31   0:00      \_ xscreensaver -no-splash
How to either stop lxsession from starting the screensaver, or make it run as root?

Thanks.
Marty Jack

Re: lxdesession and screensaver

Post by Marty Jack »

We do not do anything behind your back. Everything that is started by lxsession is configured in one of the autostart locations: /etc/xdg/lxsession/<profile>/autostart, ~/.config/lxsession/<profile>/autostart, /etc/xdg/autostart, ~/.config/autostart.

Find the problematic entry and remove it.
bacon and eggs

Re: lxdesession and screensaver

Post by bacon and eggs »

Marty Jack wrote:We do not do anything behind your back. Everything that is started by lxsession is configured in one of the autostart locations: /etc/xdg/lxsession/<profile>/autostart, ~/.config/lxsession/<profile>/autostart, /etc/xdg/autostart, ~/.config/autostart.

Find the problematic entry and remove it.
Thanks, i found it in /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart. I looked into the config folder before, but didn't realize /etx/xdg was meaningful as well! Oh my ... :lol: