Wallpaper

The standard theme switcher of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXAppearance
wallywoo

Wallpaper

Post by wallywoo »

Kde automatically changes the wallpaper, selecting jpeg files that have been placed in a directory, any change of LXDE doing that?
Thanks
maces

Re: Wallpaper

Post by maces »

Hi,

this is currently not possible, afaik.

maces
ctassell

Post by ctassell »

I wrote the following script this morning to do the same thing. Here is the script (change the Folder and sleepTime settings as needed)

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

Folder=~/wallpaper/
sleepTime=3m
pid=$(ps xc |grep lxsession |awk ' { print $1 }')

while [ $(ps xc |grep lxsession |awk ' { print $1 }') == "$pid" ]; do
	file=$(find "$Folder" -maxdepth 1 -type f |shuf |head -n 1)
	echo $file >/tmp/curWallPaperName.txt
	pcmanfm -w "$file" --wallpaper-mode=fit
	sleep "$sleepTime"
done
Then copy this into your ~/.config/autostart dir and enable it on startup with Preferences->Desktop Session Settings. Don't forget to update the path on the Exec line

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=~/lxde-wallpaper-rotate.sh
Hidden=false
Terminal=False
StartupNotify=False
Version=0.9.4
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=lxde-wallpaper-rotate.sh
Note, the script needs to be executable. So chmod 755 <filename>

Hope that helps.
StephenH

Post by StephenH »

Thank you. This was the final step I needed to complete the switchover from XFCE to LXDE. It would be really nice if this were a tool available for everyone.

I changed the wallpaper folder to one that contains pictures and the timing to every 15 minutes.

I have one minor problem though. How do I get the picture to fill the screen. Changing "fit" to "fill" does not do it. This is a wide-screen display, and it currently displays the picture with black bars on either side.

Edit:

Disregard. I found the information. The options are: (color|stretch|fit|center|tile). :D

Further Edit:

The option (scale) works also and has the advantage of not distorting pictures. However, the tradeoff is it is cropped on the top and bottom some. Many times, that is not an issue. and pictures of people look better when they are not stretched horizontally. :D
tooboku

Post by tooboku »

This is probably irrelevant but if you open any other processes with lxsession in its name while this script isn't sleeping, it will crash at the while loop.
FYI in case you were testing this with a small sleep time and you had lxsession-edit open.

It's a nice script though. Thanks for posting. Using it without a hitch now.