Unable to change icons in LXAppearance

The standard theme switcher of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXAppearance
drooly

Re: Unable to change icons in LXAppearance

Post by drooly »

must be a Lubuntu thing. are you sure you have standard vanilla Lubuntu installed? or is it debian with lxde?

was the lubuntu icon theme installed already?
if you installed it later on, maybe there was a mistake installing them. see here.
go to the folders conatining the icons and see if you can actually look at them, and if there's an index.theme file.

or maybe lxde session management got messed up. look inside your $HOME/.config, iirc it's a subfolder called lxsession, inside that there's files similar to ~/.gtkrc-2.0, iirc.

ps: i noticed you have the same topic over on debian forums, but i will focus on this one here.
Stauricus

Post by Stauricus »

actually, it doesn't works even with default shipped icon themes. nouveXT.2.2 is the default selected one, but there are also GNOME and Oxygen icon themes, installed by default, and those don't work either.
i do not have this "lxsession" folder inside ~/.config...
this is what i have:
Stauricus

Post by Stauricus »

sorry for the double post. but i found this:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=720604

it says that it's a bug, in which the configs were writen to a file, and read from another. seems to be fixed in lxappearance 0.5.5. as Debian Jessie still uses version 0.5.3, i'll just wait a few days for it to be updated. let's hope it works :)
drooly

Post by drooly »

Stauricus wrote:https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=720604
it says that it's a bug.
please don't shout "It's a bug" when you don't actually know if it is.
looks relevant at first glance, but i don't think it is.
look here:
Debian bugs wrote:Now lxappearance correctly gets settings from lxsession, (or ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf)
But it writes to ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and .config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
but you yourself showed us that you're not using lxsession.

anyhow it should be possible to manually change the icons (i.e. without lxappearance, by editing the appropriate config files).

there's quite a few questions you left unanswered in this thread and i'm still not sure what kind of setup you're running.

so please:
- which distro? if it comes in different flavors, which flavor?
- are all applications using the wrong icon theme? if not, which are and which icon theme are the others using?
- can you actually look at the icons in /usr/share/icons? open them with an image viewer? both the "wrong" and "right" ones?
- what is the content of your ~/.gtkrc-2.0?
- for now, do NOT use lxappearance, we will try to solve it manually. and remember to log out/in after every change.

you're not making it easy for us to help you.
please read this:
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro ...and onwards, preferably all of it.
Last edited by drooly on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stauricus

Post by Stauricus »

sorry drooly, i didn't really get you. the points you asked were already stated, most of them on the first post. :?
this is the content from .grtkrc-2.0:
# DO NOT EDIT! This file will be overwritten by LXAppearance.
# Any customization should be done in ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine instead.

gtk-theme-name="Clearlooks"
gtk-icon-theme-name="lubuntu"
gtk-font-name="Sans 10"
gtk-cursor-theme-name="Adwaita"
gtk-cursor-theme-size=18
gtk-toolbar-style=GTK_TOOLBAR_BOTH_HORIZ
gtk-toolbar-icon-size=GTK_ICON_SIZE_LARGE_TOOLBAR
gtk-button-images=1
gtk-menu-images=1
gtk-enable-event-sounds=1
gtk-enable-input-feedback-sounds=1
gtk-xft-antialias=1
gtk-xft-hinting=1
gtk-xft-hintstyle="hintfull"
gtk-xft-rgba="rgb"
but i managed to do it without lxappearance. i noticed that the folder ~.config/lxsession/ does not exists. so i went to /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf and FINALLY found the configs i was looking for. i just changed the icon theme from there, and it worked :D
btw, i still think it is a bug in lxappearance, since it has been considered in the Debian Bug report logs. anyway, its been fixed. i just need to wait for the new version to arrive Debian testing.

thanks for the help, everybody! :D
drooly

Post by drooly »

sorry, i missed the info that you're using debian testing.
apart from that, no they weren't. but nevermind.

i don't think it's a good solution to dig inside /etc just to change an icon theme.

if you're using pcmanfm as normal user, i'm sure it gets it's gtk information from ~/.gtkrc-2.0.
whether lxappearance put it there or you edited the file yourself, doesn't matter.
maybe this is different with lxsession, but if you got that installed (and running) the folder lxsession should be somewhere in your home.
your .gtkrc-2.0 looks normal.
so then something else must be amiss - not lxappearance.
(that said, old versions of lxappearance are definitely somewhat buggy)

but it seems you are content with the solution you found so who am i to argue? just ignore me. others might benefit.
Stauricus

Post by Stauricus »

actually there weren't a lxsession folder inside home, that's why the config file being used was the one from /etc.
later on i created the file and folders in /home/.config/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf, and added my own preferences to it. and it also worked.
no icon was being changed across the whole desktop.
btw, it's already been fixed in lxappearance. the version 0.5.5 was pushed to the testing repositories, and this one works as expected. thanks anyway :mrgreen:
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Unless I am mistaken the config file from /etc is for the system and applies to all users and the one in /home applies only to the specified user. At least that is what I have been told and I cannot remember by whom. Glad everything has worked out for you. Stick around if you have the time. We can always use another active member to share knowledge and experiences.
Rex
Stauricus

Post by Stauricus »

too bad i didn't had the knowledge to help anyone so far... :P but sure, i'm always having a look in another topics too.