System Sounds A Mystery...

The standard theme switcher of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXAppearance
LambdaFox

System Sounds A Mystery...

Post by LambdaFox »

Sound works fine in GNOME mplayer and XBMC. But I get no system sounds.

Lubuntu 14.04 includes LXAppearance 0.5.5 It has a tab labeled "Other". On the Other tab, I have ticked both of these:

Play event sounds

Play event sounds as feedback to user input

I put a sound theme called FreshAndClean in /usr/share/sounds and rebooted. No system sounds to be heard.

I then installed the .deb for Sound Theme Manager. A menu item appeared in my start menu under Preferences for Sound Theme Manager, but when I clicked on it, nothing happened, no error messages or anything. When I opened a terminal and tried sound-theme-manager or sudo sound-theme-manger, I got this Traceback error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/sound-theme-manager", line 26, in <module>
from soundtheme import SoundTheme
File "/usr/share/pyshared/soundtheme.py", line 27, in <module>
import gconf
ImportError: No module named gconf

Googling that error led me to install python-gnome2-python-desktop-dev from Synaptic Package Manager to fix that.

Afterward, when I ran Sound Theme Manager in the terminal, I got canberra-gtk-play: not found.

Installing gnome-session-canberra from Synaptic Package Manger took care of that. I can now edit settings and save with the application. When I reboot, I still get no sounds.

Maybe something needs to be added to startup???

Enabling Pulse Audio Sound System in LXSession and rebooting does not fix this.

sudo apt-get gtk+-2.0 does not fix this

creating .gtkrc-2.0 in your home directory containing these lines:
gtk-enable-event-sounds=true
gtk-enable-input-feedback-sounds=true
gtk-sound-theme-name=FreshAndClean

after installling gtk 2.0 does not bring the sounds to life...

I have verified that iNet/EnableEventSounds=1 and iNet/EnableInputFeedbackSounds=1 in /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/desktop.conf and ~/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/desktop.conf

There is no setting in there identifying the FreshAndClear theme, though.

I am looking for leads. What if any underlying software / packages need to be installed for the "Play event sounds" and "Play event sounds as feedback to user input" to work?
Last edited by LambdaFox on Sun May 04, 2014 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Linux noobie -Tech Oldie - Migrating from Years w XP + Classic Desktop to Lubuntu 14.04
Rex Bouwense

Re: System Sounds A Mystery...

Post by Rex Bouwense »

See this site
http://lxlinux.com/#15
It was created and is maintained by seppalta, a frequent contributor to this forum.
The last line of #15 reads
Computer alert sounds can be turned off by changing the two iNet entries in ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf from 1 to 0. In this address, LXDE may be replaced by the operating system name.
Make sure that yours are 1 and not 0.
Rex
LambdaFox

Post by LambdaFox »

Rex Bouwense wrote:See this site
http://lxlinux.com/#15
It was created and is maintained by seppalta, a frequent contributor to this forum.
The last line of #15 reads
Computer alert sounds can be turned off by changing the two iNet entries in ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf from 1 to 0. In this address, LXDE may be replaced by the operating system name.
Make sure that yours are 1 and not 0.
Both values are already set to 1 in both locations.
Linux noobie -Tech Oldie - Migrating from Years w XP + Classic Desktop to Lubuntu 14.04
LambdaFox

Post by LambdaFox »

I posted this as a bug this morning.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

oops!!
Rex