LXDE Menu Icon Size

The standard theme switcher of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXAppearance
mikebounds

LXDE Menu Icon Size

Post by mikebounds »

It is possible to change icon size used in menus via editing a config file. The icon themes already has different sized icons and so I can show a given icon in a larger size on my desktop, but not on the menu. I can change font size in menu in "Customise look and feel" so then I get big font against a small icon - surely there is some way of changing the icon size or this is hard-coded at compile time?

Thanks

Mike
Rex Bouwense

Re: LXDE Menu Icon Size

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum Mike. I split your post off to form a new thread. Posting to a thread that is over 4 1/2 years old probaby will not get you any attention and besides LXDE has changed in that time.
Try looking here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Setup#Fonts
Rex
mikebounds

Post by mikebounds »

Thanks Rex.
Just to clarify for anyone who might be able to help - I am looking for a way to change the icon sizes in the menu. You can change icon size on desktop, file manager and lxde panel, but you don't seem to be able to change icon size in the menu, but you can change font size. If icon sizes in the menu can't be changed by the GUI, I was hoping I could change via a config file.

Mike
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Sorry. I misunderstood. There is no GUI for changing menu items. I believe that the files you are looking for are in
/usr/share/applications
User specific entries are placed in:
~/.local/share/applications
I hope I got it right this time.
Rex
drooly

Post by drooly »

i'm not sure which menu you mean, can you elaborate? is it in lxpanel, or pcmanfm, or some other app?

most probably this is a gtk2 thing.

in that case, you can change quite a lot by editing $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0.mine.
this is what you want to adjust/add:

Code: Select all

gtk-icon-sizes = "panel-applications-menu=24,24:panel-menu=24,24:panel=16,16:gtk-button=16,16"
you can also edit the theme file itself, it is in /usr/share/themes/<ThemeName>/gtk-2.0/gtkrc.
but better to copy the whole theme to $HOME/.themes, rename it, and edit it there.

it depends a little what you want to achieve, but i think .gtkrc-2.0.mine is better.

however you can copy code from the gtk theme files, and get a better understanding by looking at them.
mikebounds

Post by mikebounds »

I am running Lubuntu on 13.10 and I also run Lubuntu 12 on some older laptops where Lubuntu 12.04 is the latest they can run on the hardware.
On both versions of Lubuntu I am running lxpanel with profile Lubuntu and with custom look and feel set to:
Widget: Clearlooks
Icon theme: elementry
Window Border: Clearlooks

The menu I am talking about is the menu that comes up when you click on Lubunu icon in left bottom corner which brings up other menus such as "Accessories" and I want to change the size of all the icons on this main menu and all sub-menus/apps, so for example the icon size for "Accessories" and the icon size for "LeafPad" in the Accessories menu.
I know how to change the icon itself to a different icon, but I cannot change the size of the icon.

In Lubuntu on 13.10
In my home directory I don't have a .gtkrc* file or .themes dir.
I have a .config dir and in there I have:
~/.config$ find gtk-2.0 gtk-3.0 lxpanel -type f
gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini
gtk-3.0/bookmarks
gtk-3.0/settings.ini
lxpanel/Lubuntu/config
lxpanel/Lubuntu/panels/panel

The only one of these that mentions icons is lxpanel/Lubuntu/panels/panel which contains:
iconsize=22
But this corresponds to the what you set when you right click on taskbar and select "Panel Setttings" in the "Geometry" tab and this effects the size of the icons on the task bar, launcher and systray and does not change the icon sizes on the menu.

I have a /usr/share/themes/Lubuntu-default/gtk-2.0/gtkrc which contains:
gtk-icon-sizes = "panel-menu=22,22:gtk-button=16,16"
I tried changing the 22's to 30 and then sent kill -1 to PID for lxpanel and I also tried changing it to:
gtk-icon-sizes = "panel-applications-menu=30,30:panel-menu=30,30:gtk-button=16,16"

But neither change made any difference

I have a
/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
but nothing obvious to change icon size in here:
grep -i size /usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
GtkCheckButton::indicator-size = 14
GtkPaned::handle-size = 6
GtkRange::stepper-size = 15
GtkExpander::expander-size = 16
GtkTreeView::expander-size = 14

http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1468 seems to be asking the same question, and this post said it might not be possible, but it seems hard to believe that this is hard coded. I don't think it is to do with theme (ie I don't think there is a "big icons" theme) as the icons in the theme I am using have icons of all sizes and scalable svg icons and I can change the size of these icons fine on the desktop.

Any help on changing the icon size on the menu is much appreciated.

Mike
drooly

Post by drooly »

i still recommend the line of code i posted earlier.

it is possible that these files i mentioned are called differently in lubuntu.

manually look through your $HOME/.config folder. might even be under lxsession.

in any case it should work if you create $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0 (not with .mine in this case!) and add the line (adjust icon sizes to your liking; 48,48 should work).
this will probably not show the desired effect right away, because:

- you might have to restart lxpanel
- gtk syntax is a little tricky, sometimes forgiving, but often silently failing.
- maybe you even jave to restart your session.