Why is LXTerminal so slow?

LXTerminal is the standard terminal emulator of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXTerminal
nobange

Why is LXTerminal so slow?

Post by nobange »

I'm surprised by slowness of LXTerminal. After minimize and restore, or after cover it and uncover by other app's window, it takes ages before the content of the terminal comes visible. Other apps don't behave that way. There's a bug in debian bugzilla about slow window update of LXTerminal, but no answer there (my system is Opensuse 11.3). I use xterm and aterm currently, I think LXTerminal has many useful features like tabs, customized font, background etc., but I don't use it to save my time and nerves. Does anyone plan to work on this issue?
Marty Jack

Re: Why is LXTerminal so slow?

Post by Marty Jack »

We can't work on it; we can't reproduce the issue. It works fine for all but a very few people. Moreover, LXTerminal is nothing but a thin GUI layer over the VTE package, which does all the drawing.
I have a theory that on whatever video hardware you have, you are going through a software rendering path that is making it slow. Maybe those of you seeing the problem can share your hardware configurations and come up wtih some clue.
nobange

Post by nobange »

It'a an old computer with GeForce 2MX card and legacy NVIDIA drivers. 2d performance is slow in general, so it may be the cause of LXTerminal's slowness. On my GF 7300GT it's fast like other programs.
bluegray

Post by bluegray »

I'm experiencing the same thing. My computer is also quite old with an Athlon XP 2400 and GeForce 2 MX using Nvidia drivers on ubuntu.
LXterminal behaves exactly like the OP described. But gnome-terminal is fine, without the slowness. I'm back using gnome-terminal now - memory usage is just a little higher than LXterminal but much more responsive.