Transparency shows incorrect background

LXTerminal is the standard terminal emulator of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXTerminal
worker201

Transparency shows incorrect background

Post by worker201 »

Using Fedora 15, just switched to LXDE from Gnome Shell. I have the opacity of my LXTerminal window set to 145, and I can see everything fine, and the transparency seems to be working. However, it doesn't always show the correct background. Occasionally, the background visible in the LXTerminal window will be the wallpaper image I was using in Gnome Shell. I suspect this has to do with Gnome Shell and LXDE not playing nice. Is there any way to fix this?

Also, I notice that if the LXTerminal window is in front of another window, the transparency shows the desktop background, rather than the window behind it. Is this normal behavior?
sea

Re: Transparency shows incorrect background

Post by sea »

Yup.
Irritating at first, after a while, i gotta say i prefer this behaviour.

If you 'move' completely to LXDE, i figured that no gconf/dconf improve performance, and i had less grafical bugs without them.
At least on my laptop its that way.
rockdoctor

Re: Transparency shows incorrect background

Post by rockdoctor »

Also, I notice that if the LXTerminal window is in front of another window, the transparency shows the desktop background, rather than the window behind it. Is this normal behavior?
You're seeing the desktop background because lxterminal is faking the transparency. To get true transparency, you need to run a compositing manager. The Gnome window managers (metacity, mutter, and, of course, compiz) and the XFCE window manager (xfwm) do true compositing. Since openbox doesn't do this, I just autostart xcompmgr when my session starts. Here's my ~/.config/autostart/xcompmgr.desktop file, since Fedora doesn't include a desktop file for xcompmgr:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=xcompmgr
Name=Xcompmgr
Comment=Compositing manager for X
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!