Alt-# behavior

LXTerminal is the standard terminal emulator of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXTerminal
gyro

Alt-# behavior

Post by gyro »

Hi. When I use Alt-<a number> to switch tabs within lxterminal, it also inputs the equivalent of Escape-<a number>. This behavior is only when I actually switch tabs. For example, if I'm in tab 1 and switch to tab 2 using Alt-2, then shell (Bash) displays "(arg:2)" as if I had used the escape character. If I'm already in tab 2 and press Alt-2, then nothing happens.

On another machine of mine I use the default terminal emulator of Xfce with no problems. The keyboard mapping is the same on both machines. So, is this a keyboard issue or a lxterminal issue?

Thanks.
rockdoctor

Re: Alt-# behavior

Post by rockdoctor »

Looks like an lxterminal thing. FWIW, when using Ctrl-Shift-t to create a new tab, the new tab shows ^T before the bash prompt. I don't recall when this started happening; currently using lxterminal-0.1.11-3 in Fedora 17 and lxterminal-0.1.11-1 in Fedora 16.
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!
lqsl

Post by lqsl »

I have the same problem.

alt+2; $ arg22
ctrl+shift+t; $ ^T

Can not find a solution!
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

It appears to be a distribution thing.
I have 3 Mint Debians with LXDE desktops complete with lxterminal. Alt+# works correctly on all 3. New tabs for 2 of them have the ^T before the bash prompt, which does not seem to affect anything, when using ctrl+shift+t. The third one does not have the ^T.
I have 2 Xubuntu 12.04 with LXDE desktops. On one I replaced xfce-terminal with lxterminal and on the other I kept the xfce-terminal. Everything works correctly without any ^T.
I have 1 Crunchbang with LXDE desktop with terminator and xfce-terminal. Ctrl+shift+t works correctly without ^T in both. Alt+n is a real mixed bag. In the xfce-terminal it changes the tab with prompt

Code: Select all

(arg: 3) |
when, for example, arg+3 is administered. Typing a command changes the prompt to the usual one and types the first letter of the command 3 times. In the terminator the tab is not changed, otherwise the behavior is the same.
lqsl

Post by lqsl »

It's Arch linux which I use.
So lxterminal have this bug for many distrobutions.
Why this big bug not being noticed by the maintainer? :?:
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

It is NOT just lxterminal. If you read my post, you will see that alt+# works correctly on my 4 lxterminal distributions. It did NOT work on an xfce-terminal and on terminator in a Crunchbang distribution.