LXDE as Gnome alt on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid

Links and infos how to connect to the LXDE community on social networks like Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, Xing, Orkut and others.
rtimai

LXDE as Gnome alt on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid

Post by rtimai »

This is my second hour in LXDE! I'm amazed that there is so little activity in this forum. I guess most users have not heard of LXDE, which I only learned of recently when a friend of mine mentioned Mint, an Ubuntu/Debian based distribution that offers a choice of four lightweight desktop environments. On researching Mint, I found that I could have a exactly what I wanted, a choice between Ubuntu's default Gnome Desktop, or LXDE -- without changing my installed application choices -- by simply installing LXDE in Ubuntu. This allows me to simply log out, and log in selecting either Gnome or LXDE. So far, apart from having to refamiliarize myself with where the menu launchers are, I am having no trouble adapting, and everything else appears to be working the same.

I hope I may not have to anticipate any issue after every Ubuntu upgrade. Hopefully Ubuntu will simply upgrade the LXDE packages.

LXDE developers, thank you so much for producing software that is designed to run on lean systems. In this economy, I believe increasing numbers will turn away from the Microsoft world and seek software that runs on more modest systems.

I hope you will be able to gain the support of application developers and resist the pressure of the increasingly bloat-prone FreeDesktop.org standards.