xorg.conf

All questions and problems regarding LXDE components including LXSession, LXAppearance, GPicView, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Xarchiver, LXNM to be discussed here.

For PCManFM questions, please ask in the dedicated forum below.
rvgsd

xorg.conf

Post by rvgsd »

Hi! I was a Xubuntu user until now..I just installed Lubuntu and its great! super speed!
I had one question, In Lubuntu 10.04, how do I change my laptop monitor default color depth to 16 instead of 32?
(In xubuntu 8.04 I had edited XORG.CONF to do so). I couldn't find the XORG.CONF file.
Thanks for help.!
rockdoctor

Re: xorg.conf

Post by rockdoctor »

rvgsd wrote:Hi! I was a Xubuntu user until now..I just installed Lubuntu and its great! super speed!
I had one question, In Lubuntu 10.04, how do I change my laptop monitor default color depth to 16 instead of 32?
(In xubuntu 8.04 I had edited XORG.CONF to do so). I couldn't find the XORG.CONF file.
Thanks for help.!
You'll need to create an xorg.conf file. As root from the console (with X not running)

Code: Select all

Xorg -configure
Will create the file /root/xorg.conf.new. Edit to suit your needs, then move it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!
onecallednick

Post by onecallednick »

I'm trying to install the proprietary nvidia drivers for my tnt2. Is this what I'll need to do? I'm kind of lost. The tnt2 is supposed to be recognized if I open the hardware drivers app, but it isn't.
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

TNT is so old that only a driver several generations of dropping-support ago supports it. It was just released in February so maybe it will build against a modern kernel. NVIDIA has fairly good instructions, or at least they used to several years ago when I had one of their cards.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_disp ... 86.13.html
onecallednick

Post by onecallednick »

I just tried that, and I got this:
ERROR: Unable to find the system utility `ld`; please make sure you have the
package 'binutils' installed. If you do have binutils installed,
then please check that `ld` is in your PATH.
I'm running Lubuntu lucid.
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

Did you do as it said and check if you have binutils? The NVIDIA install needs to build a driver using your kernel and its proprietary binary blob.

There should be a Development Tools package you can install using your package manager that has the compilers and linker. You will have to keep installing things until you have everything you need and it no longer complains.
onecallednick

Post by onecallednick »

Thanks. I just got a GeForce 2 Ultra my brother had sitting in a drawer and I'm going to try this again once I've got it installed. I think I understand what's going on now.
onecallednick

Post by onecallednick »

Well, I was wrong. I thought I could figure it out but I can't. I just don't understand how to stop the X server. i've tried "stop gdm" or /etc/init.d/gdm stop and all those other things that supposedly work with no luck. Why am I failing?
Studio-Owens

Post by Studio-Owens »

That's because LXDE isn't using GDM, GNOME Display Manager, it's using LXDM, lightweight display manager.

Stop the LXDM

sudo /etc/init.d/lxdm stop
Generate a new xorg.conf file

sudo X -configure
Move the new xorg.conf file

sudo mv ~/xorg.conf.net /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Restart the LXDM

sudo /etc/init.d/lxdm start
flora

Post by flora »

Studio-Owens, thank you for your contribution, the following has worked perfectly to me :)
Studio-Owens wrote:That's because LXDE isn't using GDM, GNOME Display Manager, it's using LXDM, lightweight display manager.

Stop the LXDM

sudo /etc/init.d/lxdm stop
Generate a new xorg.conf file

sudo X -configure
Move the new xorg.conf file

sudo mv ~/xorg.conf.net /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Restart the LXDM

sudo /etc/init.d/lxdm start