How to view and launch newly installed apps?

All questions and problems regarding LXDE components including LXSession, LXAppearance, GPicView, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Xarchiver, LXNM to be discussed here.

For PCManFM questions, please ask in the dedicated forum below.
jjewett

How to view and launch newly installed apps?

Post by jjewett »

I'm new to linux and LXDE, have just installed Linux Mint 9 LXDE on an old system with 500 MHz and 250MG memory. Pre-installed apps are listed in the menu, but (I wonder if I'm missing something) is there no way to find and launch newly installed apps? Sorry if this is an old issue. Thanks.
maces

Re: How to view and launch newly installed apps?

Post by maces »

Hi,

they should appear in the menu automatically. Is there a *.dektop file under "/usr/share/applications"? What version of LXPanel are you using? What's your Distributions name and version? What applications do you want to install, anyway?

maces
jjewett

Post by jjewett »

Maces: The Linux Mint 9 Isodora site doesn't say anything about an LXPanel version but says it's based on "LX Session 0.4.3". Do you need other distribution informaion? Although the first screen after boot-up says the computer is running an LXDE version, and the Menu looks like an LXDE menu to me, I notice under OS information that the desktop environment is listed as "Unknown (Window Manager: Openbox)", if that matters. After trying a couple more app installations I noticed that one app DOES show up automatically in the menu (Stardict [dictionary]) and in usr/share/applications, whereas others don't (e.g. Gnomine [a game]) - and if they don't show up in the menu then they also don't appear as a file in /usr/share/applications. Is there a good explanation for that? Thanks a lot for your help.
maces

Post by maces »

Thanks for the information. Well the menu cache of LXPanel looks for changes in "/usr/share/applications". If the new applications won't install a *.dektop file there, they won't be listed in the menu, afaik.

maces