Starting xterm from LXPanel causes X crash

All questions and problems regarding LXDE components including LXSession, LXAppearance, GPicView, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Xarchiver, LXNM to be discussed here.

For PCManFM questions, please ask in the dedicated forum below.
gregg_a_g

Starting xterm from LXPanel causes X crash

Post by gregg_a_g »

This is a great DE! I am running on a very minimal system, ECS PMI8M with 600MHz Celeron-M, 512MB DDR, Intel 855GM onboard graphics. I am using OpenBox and LXDE on Dreamlinux 3.5 because I want to use a lightweight environment for my not so powerful machine. The main purpose of this box will be to use as a printserver, firewall, small file server.

Anyway, after I installed LXDE from Synaptic on Dreamlinux 3.5 it looked very nice. Here is the sequence that causes the X server to crash:

1) Click on xterm icon on LXPanel and my LCD screen gets multi-colored vertical lines, then X restarts.
a) If I start LXTerminal and start xterm from there everything is fine.
b) I removed xterm from the launch bar and added LXterminal to the launch bar. Then LXTerminal starts and everything is fine.
2) If I hit ctrl-alt-F1 (to try and get a console) my LCD screen get multi-colored vertical lines and hangs. If I hit ctrl-alt-F7 I return to the X-session.

I would like to try and help debug this problem, but I don't know where to look. Is there an error log or some other evidence I can look for?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Gregg G.