[solved] lxterminal start geometry

All questions and problems regarding LXDE components including LXSession, LXAppearance, GPicView, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Xarchiver, LXNM to be discussed here.

For PCManFM questions, please ask in the dedicated forum below.
xaccrocheur

[solved] lxterminal start geometry

Post by xaccrocheur »

Hi everybody ! this is my first MSG on the board. I will say it just once : IMO LXDE is the best thing that came to GNU/Linux since XF86.

I noticed something weird about lxterminal. What I want to do is to autostart it vertically maximized, half-screen width, left edge at 10% of the left of my screen.

$lxterminal --help
(...)
--geometry=GEOMETRY X geometry specification (see "X" man page), can be specified once per window to be opened.
(...)

The "X" man page (http://www.x.org/archive/X11R6.8.1/doc/X.7.html#sect6) says

most X programs accept a command line argument of the form -geometry WIDTHxHEIGHT+XOFF+YOFF
The WIDTH and HEIGHT parts of the geometry specification are usually measured in either pixels or characters, depending on the application. The XOFF and YOFF parts are measured in pixels and are used to specify the distance of the window from the left or right and top and bottom edges of the screen, respectively.

but when I try
$ lxterminal --geometry=15x15+0+0

I get a 50ish px x 100ish px window positioned somewhere around the middle of the right half of my screen. YMMV. What gives ?

I tried *a lot* of combos, but *none* produced what I want. If i specify a number greater than 100 the window becomes larger than my 1280x1024 screen...?!

EDIT ; Here is how I did it :
$lxterminal --geometry=75x57+1-0

This give me a lxterminal vertically maximized, half-screen width, left edge at 10% of the left of my screen.
If anybody has a better idea (ie more portable : What if I switch res ?) I'm mildly interested.
xaccrocheur

Re: [solved] lxterminal start geometry

Post by xaccrocheur »

What exactly does the "-e" option ?

$lxterminal -e

The man page is ambiguous :

-e STRING --command=STRING
Execute the argument to this option inside the terminal.

One of the terms here, either the option, or the argument, is undefined..?
Could somebody provide an example of a "-e" usage ?

PS Apart from that, Im a happy camper wither lxterminal and screen :)
rockdoctor

Post by rockdoctor »

Here's a rather useless example:

Code: Select all

lx -e less .local/share/applications/conky.desktop
. It opens a terminal which then runs the less command, displaying the contents of my local conky.desktop file. The terminal is is closed when I exit the command.
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!
Glenn Johnson

Post by Glenn Johnson »

Here's my first post on this forum after reading this thread via a Google search. I just installed Fedora 17 LXDE for something to do. I typically use Gnome. Anyhow, I wanted to change the default geometry of lxterminal but could find nothing on how it is done. I finally found a blog post that suggested making a change to the file /usr/share/vte/termcap-0.0/xterm. After making a backup of that file I opened the original with vim. There is a line near the top of the file that reads

:co#80:it#8:li#24:\
I changed that line so that it now reads

:co#115:it#8:li#25:\
Save and exit, open lxterminal. This worked perfectly.

Hmmm... I also just noticed that I've sort of "necroposted" too. Sorry for that :o