Microphone check on LXDE (Knoppix/pmagic)?

All questions and problems regarding LXDE components including LXSession, LXAppearance, GPicView, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Xarchiver, LXNM to be discussed here.

For PCManFM questions, please ask in the dedicated forum below.
reselty

Microphone check on LXDE (Knoppix/pmagic)?

Post by reselty »

No function on microphone-input anymore under WinXP

An idée is to check it with a bootable pmagic or Knoppix.
But how I figured out their music player (LXMusic/MPlayer) do not allow to record sound.
Is there a soft? When yes, possible to load it after LXDE runs. Like a portable program under WinXP?

Perhaps also someone knows boot in the save mode (WinXP) will set microphone settings on default or switch on my micro?
Or other solutions to check functionality of a microphone-Input?

More explanation and what I tried allreaydy on :
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ind ... ntry783943

Thanks for helping
Reselty
lm8

Re: Microphone check on LXDE (Knoppix/pmagic)?

Post by lm8 »

If you're booting a Linux live distribution, try to find one with Audacity or sox on it. Either program should let you record. They're both available on Windows as well. There's even a portable version of Audacity for Windows. If you need a portable Linux version of Audacity, you can check http://portablelinuxapps.org/ Sox is command line, so if you have trouble running, it there's a fltk front end called flrec, you can try with it on Linux. If you're running in Windows, I'd definitely check the device manager and make sure it looked like the hardware was connected properly. If you're doing this in Linux, there's a program called hardinfo that works very much like the Windows device manager.

Can you try another microphone in the unit? Maybe see if a local computer users group has one you can borrow. Can you try the microphone on another recording device or with another computer and see if that works? If the microphone works on other devices and another microphone doesn't work with your machine, then it's not the microphone. Sometimes the sound card can go bad. I recently had a problem with my whole audio card going bad. When I booted Linux, it totally ignored the card and didn't show it initializing at all. When I booted back to Windows, the card was no longer showing in the device manager either. If the audio device is a PCI card, you can try removing, dusting and putting the card back or putting it back in other slot. If the sound card is working (you can hear output and see it in the device manager), it could be that just the part that connects to the mic is bad. Usually that means replacing the sound card. Even if sound is built into the motherboard, you can add a new sound card and use it instead. There are some USB sound devices available now that can replace PCI sound cards or onboard sound chips.
reselty

Post by reselty »

Thanks a lot lm8 for your big answer and sorry I do answer just now!
There was no mail reminding me about the post-hm..
I downloaded now AudiocityPortable, but do you know: Will it run under LXDE on pmagic 5.9 if they write:
This aps has been tested on:
Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) and later (32-bit)
OpenSUSE (GNOME) 11.3 and later (32-bit)
Fedora (GNOME) 12 and later (32-bit)
And what means: Make Executable?
Can I start pmagic from CD and then start as under windows the portable app from a stick?

What you shound know: about that I did a link on hydrognaudio:
Tablet, Viliv S5 , Windows XP
Intel Poulsbo/Tunnel Creek - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Controller Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_811B&SUBSYS_81198086&REV_07
High Definition Audio Codec: RealTek ALC262
Audio Codec Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0262&SUBSYS_00000000
Realtek HD Audio output
Realtek HD Audio intput

A Jack (TRRS connector) with 4-pins “L-R-GRND-AUX” for in- and output

And the idea was; trying on another platform than WinXP.
I do have AudiocityPortable for WinXP on a stick but why shoundeit change anything?

I also have a USB soundcard but how I found out in this forum:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ind ... ntry783035
I have to us it with other BIOS settings or use a powered USB-Hub and this is definitly a lot for a skype call on the way...as I think that I could use my small not much bigger than a iPhone XP-device a view weeks ago just by connecting a handy iPhone headset...
reselty

Post by reselty »

lm8 wrote:"...portable Linux version of Audacity..."
Could not go for sleep without testing it.
It was so easy to run it under pmagic - Wau!
Could just start the downloaded file.

But I couldn't make my microphone run. Still no record possible.

I will check functionality of Audiocity and settings on an other XP-PC first to be (more) sure what I do..
reselty

Post by reselty »

Sorry!
Crazy??
Nothing to do with my qustion!
Hold your words for your wife!