Need to install LXTask in LXDE

All questions and problems regarding LXDE components including LXSession, LXAppearance, GPicView, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Xarchiver, LXNM to be discussed here.

For PCManFM questions, please ask in the dedicated forum below.
orrngor

Need to install LXTask in LXDE

Post by orrngor »

I'm running a Ubuntu server 12.04 micro instance in AWS. Once I had the instance up and running, I did the following:
1. sudo apt-get update
2. sudo apt-get install lxde

Once it was installed I did the following:
1. sudo start lxdm

I then installed xrdp and connected to my instance using Windows Remote Desktop. Worked great. Nice minimal desktop. Found it didn't have a browser and installed Firefox. Worked great (well, I probably should have installed a less memory intense browser, so may do that later).

But, seems to be missing some things. In particular, there is "NO" LXTask (task manager) listed in the System Tools. Just UXTerm and Xterm. I looked in all the other menu choices, particularly "accessories" and "other", and found no task manager (the "other" menu choice has a long list of utilities, but don't see LXTask manager (or, anything else that looked like some sort of system manager)).

Question - What is the command line used to go get and install the LXTask utility? I tried apt-get install LXTask and it found nothing. Googled like crazy, probably for a full hour, and found nothing.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Orrn
Rex Bouwense

Re: Need to install LXTask in LXDE

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Are you sure that LXTask was not installed? What happens when you hit Ctrl+Alt+Del? That should call up the task manager. By the way welcome to the LXDE forum.

Is this what you are looking for?
http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/x11/lxtask
or
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxde/fi ... k%200.1.4/
I'm not sure but I don't think you can install LXDE without installing LXTask.
Rex
orrngor

Post by orrngor »

Thanks for the reply.

I think I need to adjust my remote desktop settings to allow ctrl-alt-del to be sent to the remote Linux instance. Because when I use that key combo now, it only affects my local computer (win7 PC). Hmmm. Interesting. I attempted to do that with the remote desktop settings (send all keyboard combos to remote computer), but didn't seem to make any difference (combo still sent to my local computer). Maybe how I have LXDE set up? Or, need to adjust rdp settings in Linux? I guess I can google all those issues.

I may try NoMachine NX instead of RDP. I've heard there are some differences in experience between the two. The NX method is a little more tedious to setup, but not too bad.

I'll look at the packages that you referenced, so appreciate those links. Hopefully I can use apt-get with them (or installl synaptic?). I'm a bit of a newbie with Linux.

I may try and do a search on the Linux instance for LXTask and see if the app is there. Maybe it's path isn't set up for my profile. Or, something similar. I'm using the same default account that the instance came with that I used to set up everything. Only difference is I set a password for it.

Thanks,

Orrn
orrngor

Post by orrngor »

Some progress : )

Found out that ctrl-alt-END will send the crtl-alt-dle key combo to the remote Linux server. Cool.

Anyway, gave it a try and the Linux Ubuntu Server instance popped up a "Openbox" little message box that read "Failed to execute child process "lxtask" (No such file or directory)

Hmmmm. Maybe I just need to do an install of one of the packages. I'll give that a try next.

Orrn
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I'm puzzled by your dilema, but then I stay as far away from Ubuntu as I can. The Debian stable package for lxtask can be downloaded from http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/lxtask, and directly installed by using gdebi or dpkg provided you have all the dependencies installed. Dependencies are also listed and downloadable from the given link. There are other lightweight system monitors available. Two that come to mind are xfce4-taskmanager and htop.
drooly

Post by drooly »

^ looks like a stray post.

anyhow, +1 to htop, esp. on a server environment.

also, case matters.

Code: Select all

LXTask != lxtask
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Thanks drooly. I deleted it.
Rex