Task Bar (Window List) Icons

All questions and problems regarding LXDE components including LXSession, LXAppearance, GPicView, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Xarchiver, LXNM to be discussed here.

For PCManFM questions, please ask in the dedicated forum below.
pauldmallett

Task Bar (Window List) Icons

Post by pauldmallett »

Where do running programs pull the Task Bar (Window List) Icons from? Debian 8 running LXDE Desktop and with Google Chrome latest stable installed, the window icon is a blue folder and not the usual Chrome bulls eye as it is in the Menue and pointed to in the desktop file. I would like to put the correct icon on the Task Bar when the program is running but can not figure out how these icons are called. Any suggestions?
Lenovo T520
O/S History Win 3.11,OS2,95,98,2000,SUSE,Vista,Win7,U/Xu/Lu_buntu,Debian8 LXDE
Rex Bouwense

Re: Task Bar (Window List) Icons

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forums. Not sure what you are asking but if you are looking for where the icons are stored check
/user/share/icons
Rex
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

If yes, then it is a Google Chrome / Chromium problem...not LXDE or Jessie. Since the last update of Chromium, this has occurred on my systems as well, including Xfce Jessie and Sid, and LXDE Sid.

The only thing to do is wait for the next update of Google Chrome / Chromium. Hopefully, they will have fixed it and the normal icon will be back.
pauldmallett

Post by pauldmallett »

Yep, that's the problem but in more general terms the Window List icons must be called from some where and yet no one seems to be able to explain by what mechanism this takes place. I found some discussion of this in an Arch Linux forum but not a lot else so now I just want to know. Thanks for clarifying my question and the particular problem.
Lenovo T520
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

pauldmallett wrote:the Window List icons must be called from some where and yet no one seems to be able to explain by what mechanism this takes place.
It's actually hard coded from within the software package itself, and the average user cannot access or alter this code. Although you can alter the .desktop file to change the icon to something custom, the icon displayed in the Window List/Task Bar/Panel is executed from the code of the package, not the .desktop file, and their package contains a copy of their icon to be displayed. Some developers don't want their symbol/logo/icon altered. (Fair enough...it's their claim to fame.) Two other examples of this practice are Gimp and Geany.

So, for the problem with Google Chrome / Chromium, someone from the Chromium development team dropped the ball and fowled the code. I just think it's interesting that no one from their team or even the Google team noticed this before releasing it to the public. (Insert "face-palm" image here.)
pauldmallett

Post by pauldmallett »

Thanks, it always helps to know how it all fits together, I'll find something else to fret about now.
If you ever have any dealings with Google you may draw the conclusion that there is a certain amount of chaos under the surface. Thanks for taking the time to explain.
Lenovo T520