automount broken on Fed28

All questions and problems regarding LXDE components including LXSession, LXAppearance, GPicView, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Xarchiver, LXNM to be discussed here.

For PCManFM questions, please ask in the dedicated forum below.
luxy

automount broken on Fed28

Post by luxy »

Hi,
I am running Fedora LDXE spin installation since 26,

Some time after completing the upgrade from 27 to 28, I had to reboot to windoze to test something. Just before shutdown, I used a USB key and it automounted. After coming back to Fedora, I found nothing automounts any more.

I have checked the auto mount removable media is still active in PCManFM ; I find the devices show in dmesg and nothing indicating an error attempting to mount the devices. They will mount by hand.

mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/sdc1

But that means I need to open a root console and does not give read access to uses. I don't want to go through the pain of working out all the required bells and whistle options and inventing udev rules.

How can I determine why auto mount no longer works and fix it?

TIA.
seppalta

Re: automount broken on Fed28

Post by seppalta »

Be sure that udev and udisks2 are installed. Use a text editor to create 10-udisks.pkla:

Code: Select all

[Local Users]
Identity=unix-group:*
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks2.*
ResultAny=no
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes
Put 10-disks.pkla into /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/ . Be sure 10-disks.pkla is executable. Reboot.
If this doesn't get automatic mounting, let us know for another "fix".
luxy

Post by luxy »

OK, thanks that fixed it.

Both those pkgs were installed but the directory you indicated was present but empty. Adding that file made automount work as before.

Is this something that got wiped out by the update process or a change in the way this is done which did not migrate correctly?

Thanks
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Code: Select all

Is this something that got wiped out by the update process or a change in the way this is done which did not migrate correctly? 
Apparently, if you are sure it was there before.
luxy

Post by luxy »

OK, my phrasing was ambiguous. It was meant to read : which is it, not : is it one of the above
I'm not sure that it was the 27.28 upgrade since this did not manifest after the final reboot on moving to 28. It may have been minor update since then which only hit because I needed to reboot and implicitly restarted the relevant service.

I am certain that it was working immediately before reboot and broken immediately afterwards.

This is the first significant breakage I have had during update/upgrades on Fedora , which is pretty impressive. I used to use Gentoo for about 8y and it was great fun, but even a two weekly update needed I needed to clear my desk for a couple of days before starting.

It's back working , which is the main thing. Thanks for the help fixing it.
luxy

Post by luxy »

Actually , it looks like this is doing more than required. It seems to be mounting everything it can find.

Specifically it now seems to be automounting partitions on the two SATA hard disks that are permanently part of the system. These partitions should NOT be mounted.

What I want is automounting of removable media, not automounting anything it can find. I'll reboot and check this again but these are partitions that I don't currently use.
luxy

Post by luxy »

OK, this has happened again.

I'm now running Fed29 for a while and this just disappeared again a couple of weeks ago.

The above solution is still in place and has not been modified.

Any more ideas?

thx