Using LXDE with other window managers?

All questions and problems regarding LXDE components including LXSession, LXAppearance, GPicView, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Xarchiver, LXNM to be discussed here.

For PCManFM questions, please ask in the dedicated forum below.
tpprynn

Using LXDE with other window managers?

Post by tpprynn »

I find myself returning to LXDE each time I briefly move to another setup, and though I discovered LXDE while limited to a low powered used machine I increasingly prefer everything simple, from themes to applications. Today, though, I had a try at using Metacity with LXDE as I had done when messing about with a Raspberry Pi. It doesn't seem to work now or at least the procedure is different enough that I gave up. I used to install Metacity and gconf-editor, enter 'metacity' in the relevant Desktop Sessions box and use gconf-editor to set theme and compositing. The structure of things seems to have changed, which I know isn't LXDE's problem. Does anyone here still use Metacity with LXDE? I'm aware Peppermint Linux used LXDE with Xfwm4 but maybe that's become problematic too?

Thanks for any pointers.
drooly

Re: Using LXDE with other window managers?

Post by drooly »

I don't think LXDE listens to gconf; shouldn't you rather add emtacity to LXDE's startup/session management?
I think there's a GUI for that; wherever it says "openbox", replace that with the command line for metacity.