Configuring LXDM to display date and time

All questions and problems regarding LXDE components including LXSession, LXAppearance, GPicView, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Xarchiver, LXNM to be discussed here.

For PCManFM questions, please ask in the dedicated forum below.
edward

Configuring LXDM to display date and time

Post by edward »

Due to a resolution issue, I switched the desktop manager (login screen) from lightdm to lxdm, when I noticed it was already installed. In looking at some screenshots beforehand,when the LXDM screen appears, I am not seeing the date and time at the upper right corner of the screen.

Is there a way of configuring LXDM so that it will display the current date and time?

Thank you.
Debian Sid - LXDE
edward

Re: Configuring LXDM to display date and time

Post by edward »

This appears to be a bug. I found running lxdm-config (as root) from a terminal, brings up the options and whether the "hide time" entry is checked or not, it does not display the date and time.

As I am using Fedora, I reported the bug on their bug reporting system.
Debian Sid - LXDE
edward

Post by edward »

It turns out the date and time is there, however on a darker background like the Fedora 30 default background, it can't be seen because the text color is black and I haven't found anywhere where the color can be changed.

I then changed the background to the wave.svg file included with the lxdm Industrial theme and the date and time (still in black) can now be seen on the screen. I also changed both the LXDE and LXQt default desktop backgrounds to this same image and find it easier on the eyes. :)
Debian Sid - LXDE
drooly

Post by drooly »

edward wrote:Is there a way of configuring LXDM
Yes, there is:
You edit /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf.
SInce the greeter is gtk based, you should probably change the theme to a dark one (with light text, for a dark background).
edward

Post by edward »

drooly wrote:
edward wrote:Is there a way of configuring LXDM
Yes, there is:
You edit /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf.
SInce the greeter is gtk based, you should probably change the theme to a dark one (with light text, for a dark background).
I looked in that file and saw the reference to hide_time, but it was the background causing it to not display clearly, dark background with black text, it was there but could not be viewed.

When I changed the background to the default image supplied with the Industrial theme, which is lighter in color, the date and time appears normally.
Debian Sid - LXDE
drooly

Post by drooly »

The font colors are defined by the GTK theme applied.
If you choose a dark GTK theme, fonts are usually light in color.
So do that.