How to report bugs?

Forum Feedback & Help Report technical problems with the website here (broken features), or ask questions pertaining to forum features.
Alimba

How to report bugs?

Post by Alimba »

Hello, it might be a silly question, but how we can report bugs?

I crated an account here: https://sourceforge.net/p/lxde/bugs

But there are some fields that I don't really know well...For example when you create a ticket, the form asks for a "milestone" and the "owner".

So, from where can I find out what to put there according to the problem that I'm having?

Thank you..

p.s. Sorry, I'm quite new here..
drooly

Re: How to report bugs?

Post by drooly »

it might be prudent to discuss here on the forums what your problem is, before reporting it as a "bug".
Alimba

Post by Alimba »

Well, I have several strange behaviours. I'm running the Lubuntu 14.04 LTS with an ASUS X75VC laptop.

1st. When I used PCManFM with root access (I'm working with XAMPP so, I need root access...) after restarting the PC, it boot normally, it ask me for password as usual but it didn't recognise it... Further more, at some other times it logged me out with no reason and then again didn't recognise my password. I solve the problem by double restarting my computer, although it is not normal behaviour...

2nd. I had some problems with wifi, I follow a guide to fix it but now again there is no way to change from ethernet to wifi. Further more when I'm coming back from suspended or hibernation modes, the ethernet stops working, and again I need to restart.

3rd. Since that I have laptop, I wanted to switch off the touchpad, I install a program for that but despite that in the program it is saved the setting to be off, it doesn't work each time that I boot my PC, and I need to uncheck it and check it again.

4th. On preferences there is an option to put custom colours in your theme. Those in the preview are working fine, but after closing the window and pressing apply nothing changes.

Fortunately it boots in 2.5 sec, and I'm using a lot the restart as you can see.. :P hahaha

Anyhow, is there any permeant solution or should I report them as bugs?

Also is there any guide on how to learn how to fix those kind of things? Because I really love linux and I want them to become perfect, most of my issues maybe there are not major but we need to improve the whole experience right?
drooly

Post by drooly »

Alimba wrote:1st. When I used PCManFM with root access (I'm working with XAMPP so, I need root access...) after restarting the PC, it boot normally, it ask me for password as usual but it didn't recognise it... Further more, at some other times it logged me out with no reason and then again didn't recognise my password. I solve the problem by double restarting my computer, although it is not normal behaviour...
i guess the problems you are experiencing there ahve more to do with using your machine as a web server, than with using pcmanfm as root.
btw, for extensively doing things with root privileges, you should use the command line and not gui tools. starting some programs from pcmanfm with root privileges could damage your system.
you can start a root session in your favorite terminal emulator with "su" (not sure though if *buntu works as expected there).
2nd. I had some problems with wifi, I follow a guide to fix it but now again there is no way to change from ethernet to wifi. Further more when I'm coming back from suspended or hibernation modes, the ethernet stops working, and again I need to restart.
this is a seperate problem for a seperate thread, most probably for the forums of the distro you use (ubuntu forums?).
3rd. Since that I have laptop, I wanted to switch off the touchpad, I install a program for that but despite that in the program it is saved the setting to be off, it doesn't work each time that I boot my PC, and I need to uncheck it and check it again.
i have experienced something like that myself.
usually the best permanent solution is to edit the appropriate files somewhere in your systems guts. again, you're not the first to experience this.
4th. On preferences there is an option to put custom colours in your theme. Those in the preview are working fine, but after closing the window and pressing apply nothing changes.
that, too is a known problem.

3rd and 4th could be called bugs, but i'm pretty sure hundreds of reports have been filed already.
Also is there any guide on how to learn how to fix those kind of things? Because I really love linux and I want them to become perfect
there are.
Alimba

Fixing bugs => was ( Re: How to report bugs? )

Post by Alimba »

drooly wrote:
Alimba wrote:1st. When I used PCManFM with root access (I'm working with XAMPP so, I need root access...) after restarting the PC, it boot normally, it ask me for password as usual but it didn't recognize it... Further more, at some other times it logged me out with no reason and then again didn't recognize my password. I solve the problem by double restarting my computer, although it is not normal behavior...
i guess the problems you are experiencing there ahve more to do with using your machine as a web server, than with using pcmanfm as root.
btw, for extensively doing things with root privileges, you should use the command line and not gui tools. starting some programs from pcmanfm with root privileges could damage your system.
you can e reststart a root session in your favorite terminal emulator with "su" (not sure though if *buntu works as expected there).

Thanks a lot for the rest solutions, but for the first one, the command line it is not that practical, when you open several files to edit all the time... However, is it safer to execute only the editor -notepad- in root and do your work from there?

Also I can't understand why it is not safe? Is it because you might do some damage to the system by deleting something accidentally or something else?
Alimba

Post by Alimba »

i have experienced something like that myself.
usually the best permanent solution is to edit the appropriate files somewhere in your systems guts. again, you're not the first to experience this.[/quote]

Ok, I manage to solve this one by replacing the Pointing Devices with the touchpad-indicator which is working a bit better, still not perfect but it does the job:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/atareao
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install touchpad-indicator