LXDE new convert point of view

Non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments; Please take those elsewhere.
gblacks

LXDE new convert point of view

Post by gblacks »

Hi - I'm a new convert. Not new to Linux but, like many others, thought Gnome was getting bloated and tired after fifteen years of use. Have been a Minty since it started and was of the opinion that Mint was the best possible incantation of Gnome in the Linux world particularly in the Mint Debian Edition. With the release of Mint 13 I installed the Mate version but also experimented with Cinnamon together with KDE. Never been much of a KDE fan - just don't like the look and feel of it and when introducing new users to Linux there is just too much for them to take in. I was very happy with Mate in the way that it looked and felt and everything seemed to work fine right out of the box without any tweaking. However, I soon noticed that little things weren't quite right and new users were pointing out small stuff that they didn't like. We all want to help people escape from Windows, right? So we want to give them a desktop that absolutely creams XP and 7, (and now 8 too.) As a result, I created two live DVD's based on Mint 13 - one is Xfce and the other being LXDE. nothing really bad about Xfce but the end users are giving LXDE the nod and yes, I L O V E the speed. The speed of LXDE takes me back to the old days of DOS on the very first 386's where you typed "123" and Lotus just appeared on your screen before you could blink! Back to my DVD's. I know Mint did LXDE in version 12 and I know Ubuntu do Lubuntu in version 12.10. My version of Mint 13 LXDE is LibreOffice tailored and has Google Chrome instead of Firefox and people just love how it all works together without anything breaking. LXDE is the key and I wish to record that in my opinion, the developers are doing a spot-on job. - thanks! :D
Rex Bouwense

Re: LXDE new convert point of view

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Not really the place for testamonials, but kool. I used Mint as well and discovered lxde. I finally settled on Lubuntu which I have been using full time for several years. There are so many OS out there so there has to be one for everyone. Enjoy.
I think that I am going to move this to the LXDE Cafe, in case you want to talk some more.
Rex
edward

Re: LXDE new convert point of view

Post by edward »

If you think LXDE is fast, you should see it running on a 64-bit system. :D

I switched to LXDE a few years back because I still had older PC's at the time that I felt could still be used in some way, in fact one of them still works (Compaq Presario 5900Z, custom-built in 1999 with an AMD Athlon 600MHz CPU). KDE and to a lesser extent, GNOME were rather slow on these older machines, but LXDE sped it right up.
Debian Sid - LXDE