LXDE as the standard 'reference' window manager?

Non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments; Please take those elsewhere.
bradleyrose

LXDE as the standard 'reference' window manager?

Post by bradleyrose »

Linux and other X11 desktop environments would benefit from better standardization by having a "reference" window manager. That used to be 'twm'. My understanding is that the LXDE goal is be a standards-compliant window manager, including the new Freedesktop.org specs, but without unneccessary junk. Maybe it would be a good place to collaborate with other window-manager developers as a common place to work out the details for the X11 desktop standards. OTOH, wm developers often get involved because they have their own vision of how the X11 desktop should evolve.
Rex Bouwense

Re: LXDE as the standard 'reference' window manager?

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Thread was moved to LXDE Cafe as it does not ask for assistance and is expressing an opinion
Rex
drooly

Post by drooly »

bradleyrose wrote:Linux and other X11 desktop environments would benefit from better standardization by having a "reference" window manager. That used to be 'twm'.
and it still is. Still maintained.
But I'm not quite sure what "reference" is supposed to mean here. Do you mean a fallback?
My understanding is that the LXDE goal is be a standards-compliant window manager
LXDE is a desktop environment, not a WM.
Openbox is LXDE's window manager.
including the new Freedesktop.org specs, but without unneccessary junk.
That spec isn't so new anymore, and it's not "included", LXDE aims to comply with it (and include a few utilities that are deemed necessary for that).

Anyhow, it makes sense to have a fallback X.org environment that is low on dependencies.
Compare:

Code: Select all

twm:
Depends On      : libxmu

openbox:
Depends On      : startup-notification  libxml2  libxinerama  libxrandr  libxcursor  pango  imlib2
                  librsvg  libsm
The dependencies of the whole LXDE desktop are MUCH larger than those for openbox.
Maybe it would be a good place to collaborate with other window-manager developers as a common place to work out the details for the X11 desktop standards.
I think people are turning more and more towards wayland development nowadays.
Wayland has a window manager "built in" AFAIU. Maybe that's the "reference" you're looking for.

tl;dr: I don't think you'll ever get a complete desktop environment to be the "reference" environment of a GUI server.
drooly

Post by drooly »

I just removed a spam post from this thread.