Tutorial

Non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments; Please take those elsewhere.
Coen Naninck

Tutorial

Post by Coen Naninck »

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this forum.

I've been a happy LXDE user (using Lubuntu) for many years.

I have always liked minimalist Linux distributions but it was never minimalist enough for me. While Lubuntu introduced me to LXDE I always uninstalled many of its prepackaged software right after a fresh install. Eventually I got my hands dirty and tried to build my own Openbox + LXDE-based distro based on Ubuntu; after many trials and errors I succeeded in doing just that. Now I wish to share my approach and give back to the community with a tutorial on creating a Ubuntu + Openbox + LXDE install for anyone who wishes to do that.

My question is, is this OK and if so where can I post it?
Rex Bouwense

Re: Tutorial

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum. I have moved your thread to the LXDE cafe where it is probably a better fit since you are not asking for assistance.
Rex
Coen Naninck

Post by Coen Naninck »

Thank you for responding, Rex. My main concern with my tutorial is that once I post it there may be security holes in it. So, perhaps once (or before?) I post it you or another skilled user can have a look at it. I shall proceed to write it and post it when it's done. Perhaps I should PM you the tutorial before I post it, if you have time to review it.
drooly

Post by drooly »

You can just post it here so active forum members can review it together.
Coen Naninck

Post by Coen Naninck »

OK, thank you.
Coen Naninck

Post by Coen Naninck »

I keep getting notifications about new posts in this thread but when I check the posts don't exist. What is that about?

And FYI, I am working on the tutorial. One step of the process is reinstalling my system so I can take photos of the net install screens that one has to navigate; I have planned to do this next week.
Attachments
2019-11-03-105230_1440x1080_scrot.gif
2019-11-03-105230_1440x1080_scrot.gif (16.35 KiB) Viewed 13148 times
drooly

Post by drooly »

Coen Naninck wrote:I keep getting notifications about new posts in this thread but when I check the posts don't exist. What is that about?
Spammers. I deleted a post yesterday. Unfortunately this happens relatively often here.

Post by Guest »

Maybe a remedy is to moderate ALL posts except for trusted people. You can create a group in phpBB called 'Trusted' (or something like that) whose posts are not moderated; everybody else is.
drooly

Post by drooly »

Guest wrote:Maybe a remedy is to moderate ALL posts except for trusted people. You can create a group in phpBB called 'Trusted' (or something like that) whose posts are not moderated; everybody else is.
I am just a mod. If I had access to the forum software Id have already changed something, trust me.
Admins have been contacted about this long ago (or tried to), no reaction.

FWIW, I think the remedy is to tighten account creation: apply some IP blocklists, a more difficult captcha etc.
Coen Naninck

Post by Coen Naninck »

drooly wrote:If I had access to the forum software Id have already changed something, trust me.
Isn't Rex an admin? I've seen him post.