Further development.

Non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments; Please take those elsewhere.
ozunasawai4

Further development.

Post by ozunasawai4 »

I'm using LXDE for a few years and in this year I started contributing to this project. To enter into development process I started to work on GPicView. Few bugs described in repository was fixed and some features was implemented. I created a patches, but it seems like nobody is checking them (Yes, nobody owes me anything, but a half a year?). There is no activity in mailing list, so is it still in development or people who worked on it is not interesting in it?

I like the idea of the lightweight DE, which gives me opportunity to use as much resources of my machine as I can, while giving simple and intuitive GUI. LXDE is quite good for and I would like to contribute to it, but if it is such poorly maintained, maybe it is time for a fork?
drooly

Re: Further development.

Post by drooly »

I don't think LXDE is "poorly maintained".
It looks sufficiently active to me: https://github.com/LXDE

TBH, I'm not even sure if gpicview is officially part of LXDE - it does not show up on that github page at all.
What have you been working on, some links?

Also, Linux isn't exactly poor in image viewers, maybe it's not so surprising that gpicview doesn't get too much attention.
kent.dorfman766

Post by kent.dorfman766 »

I think it's a very fair question. Zero activity on the dev mailing list seems like a warning flag to me of a project fading into obscurity.

I've been an *NIX user/developer since the early 90s and as such always appreciated liteweight window managers like TWM and FVWM. In fact, only now evaluating something more iron-age and less stone-age as a replacement for my comfortable FVWM sessions. I would like to think LXDE is a proper replacement/upgrade, but some of the "is LXDE still viable" comments on this forum and the "nothing to see here, move along" responses from mods or gurus give me pause.

I also note that major toplevel links are broken on the lxde.org website, further indicating that the project is on the decline. Neither lxde.org, nor www.lxde.org works anymore.
drooly

Post by drooly »

kent.dorfman766 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:24 pm I think it's a very fair question. Zero activity on the dev mailing list seems like a warning flag to me of a project fading into obscurity.
gpicview?
Did you send a question there and not receive an answer?
I've been an *NIX user/developer since the early 90s and as such always appreciated liteweight window managers like TWM and FVWM. In fact, only now evaluating something more iron-age and less stone-age as a replacement for my comfortable FVWM sessions. I would like to think LXDE is a proper replacement/upgrade, but some of the "is LXDE still viable" comments on this forum and the "nothing to see here, move along" responses from mods or gurus give me pause.
Not sure what exactly you're refering to here.
I like to go with the facts: https://github.com/lxde and https://git.lxde.org/gitweb
That's the development/activity there is. It is what it is, I don't see any reason to argue for/against it.
Personally I don't believe that every software project that hasn't been updated for a while is automatically dead. If it works it works, why change it? And you don't need security audits for image viewers or window managers.
I also note that major toplevel links are broken on the lxde.org website, further indicating that the project is on the decline. Neither lxde.org, nor www.lxde.org works anymore.
I cannot access lxde.org at all anymore (except for this forum).
It seems to be https://lxde.github.io/ nowadays. The links there work.
I don't see any reason why LXDE needs a full web presence anyhow. Due to its focus on lightweightness it won't be much more than a niche anyhow.

I don't use LXDE as such myself, but some of its applications.
Most notably the window manager, openbox, and lxappearance. Sometimes pcmanfm.
All these work fine independently of the LXDE desktop.
I'm sure you could do the same if you're used to setting up twm or fvwm.