Icons and Fonts

Non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments; Please take those elsewhere.
edward

Icons and Fonts

Post by edward »

<soapbox mode on>

I've been experiencing multiple crashes of an e-mail app, with related kernel crashes that are referencing the e-mail app. They are queuing up in ABRT on my system because Fedora's retrace (bug processing) server has been offline for a while due to a data center move. The e-mail app crashes when it's open/running and I attempt to change the desktop theme or window border. So far, this has occurred while using LXDE, LXQt, MATE and XFCE. I have submitted bug reports with Red Hat/Fedora (referencing the package containing the library that is causing the e-mail app to seg fault) as well as with the e-mail app developer. Surprisingly, the e-mail app didn't crash when I used Cinnamon and changed the theme and I'm not even going to try it with Plasma (KDE).

What I noticed prior to this, is if I use Plasma, it changes the LXDE icon theme in the process, as the icon for the same e-mail app had changed when I next logged in with LXDE, I had to change the icon theme back to 'Fedora'. Cinnamon changes the size of the font used on the LXDE menus and the application menus. I then went into the LXDE settings to see what changed and restored the previous font sizes.

It would be nice if other desktop environments would play nice and not touch the settings of any other installed desktop environment...

<soapbox mode off>
Debian Sid - LXDE
drooly

Re: Icons and Fonts

Post by drooly »

There isn't really such a thing as "LXDE icon theme" - it's the GTK icon theme. And that is common to several DEs. But funnily, not KDE... I guess KDE changes the GTK icon theme to fit in with KDE apps...
edward

Post by edward »

I was able to successfully remove the Cinnamon desktop on one system,. going to try ti on the other. But KDE/Plasma, unfortunately, not so much. It removed the packages beginning with kde* with others, but when I then attempted to remove all of the plasma* named packages, it wants to remove over 200 packages in all, including the LXQt desktop. So I left that as it was.

UPDATE: I was successful removing Cinnamon from both desktops.
Debian Sid - LXDE
edward

Post by edward »

In Fedora, I found a package lxde-icon-theme, which does not install with their default LXDE installation.

It provides the nuoveXT2 icon-theme. The summary describes it as the default icon-theme for LXDE.
Debian Sid - LXDE