how to code lxde program

Discussion on LXDE releases and Development. This forum is not the best way to contact the developers, please use the Development mailing list and Sourceforge to interact with them.
sevenskies

how to code lxde program

Post by sevenskies »

hello,

since lxde use gtk+ library, means it has the same library with xfce and gnome...

so what makes lxde different with xfce, gnome...the programming language or what??
could i use python or another??what about glade??
could i use them??

i've compare some program with lxde with another and lxde run with extremly less memory

thank you very much
Odd-rationale

Re: how to code lxde program

Post by Odd-rationale »

Yes, LXDE uses GTK+ just like GNOME and XFCE.

AFAIK, what makes LXDE different (and faster!) is that they are mostly written in pure GTK+, rather than using the GNOME or XFCE libraries. Also, pure GTK+ apps tend to have better performance, as they are compiled C code. Where as other GTK+ bindings such as PyGTK, GTK#, etc. tend to be "easier" to code and develop, but lose somewhat on the lightweight side.
sevenskies

Post by sevenskies »

great..back to basic, so use CGTK only to make lxde..

and what about the 'lx' name?
means there is no condition to add lx before software name besides use CGTK??

thank you
maces

Post by maces »

Hi sevenskies

pcmanx once told me that all core components should be written in c/gtk+ but other Programms can be written in python for example. Like GTKnetcat. The LX* in the name connects every application with LXDE. (please correct me if i get something wrong)

maces