How to set up development environment for lxde development?

Discussion on LXDE releases and Development. This forum is not the best way to contact the developers, please use the Development mailing list and Sourceforge to interact with them.
gastly

How to set up development environment for lxde development?

Post by gastly »

Hello,
I want to dive into hacking LXDE but how do I go about setting up a development environment?
I have Lubuntu installed and I want to test and build the latest lxde without affecting my current stable setup.
I've created a separate user for development purposes, is it possible to have lxde and all it's components installed to that user's home directory?
Marty Jack

Re: How to set up development environment for lxde development?

Post by Marty Jack »

It depends on what part you want to work on. For the session manager or panel, the way I do it is ssh in from a second machine, kill the real one, and run the one you are debugging directly from the build directory. There is no real need to have a separate user account.

For a normal user mode program, you can debug that the same way you would debug any normal user mode program.
gastly

Re: How to set up development environment for lxde development?

Post by gastly »

Thanks for the reply Marty :)
The problem is I don't have a second machine to ssh from. The reason I asked this question was that when I was installing lxde from source it complained about sysconfdir not being /etc. So I thought it won't work when run from my home dir, but it did :mrgreen:
I'm using a separate account since I really want to isolate the test environment and keep things clean.
Currently I'm using xephyr like I used to do when testing out KDE :)

Cheers :)
- Bhaskar