Desktop launcher creation from GUI

Discussion on LXDE releases and Development. This forum is not the best way to contact the developers, please use the Development mailing list and Sourceforge to interact with them.
edward

Desktop launcher creation from GUI

Post by edward »

I would like to offer a suggestion for a future release of LXDE, to have a desktop right-click menu option to create a new GUI-based desktop launcher, something currently not possible.

I use Mandriva Linux and installed Mandriva 2009 Spring using their new dual-architecture image which uses LXDE as the default desktop environment. Because of the lack of the ability to create a desktop launcher in LXDE via the GUI, I also installed the XFCE desktop - which has this functionality. If I need to create a desktop launcher for something (e.g. the SeaMonkey browser suite), I would create it using XFCE, then switch back to LXDE and the new launcher with its icon is then on the LXDE desktop.
Debian Sid - LXDE
maces

Re: Desktop launcher creation from GUI

Post by maces »

Hi

There IS an application that does what you want, it's called LXShortcut. If it's not included in Mandriva try to compile it from source:

Code: Select all

autogen.sh
./configure
make
make install
Hint: "make install" must be run as root ;)

LXShourtcut creates *.desktop files you can use them as starters. You can place them in ~/Desktop so they appear on th Desktop. Or you add them to your panel in your application lauchbar.

maces
edward

Post by edward »

Hi.

lxshortcut was in one of the other Mandriva repositories and I installed it. However after the installation and also after a new login, I diid not see anything on the desktop right-click menu to create a launcher, nor is there anything new on the menus. Upon further investigating, I discovered that additional packages are required, yet the Mandriva installer did not prompt for any of the other required packages (at least two in the list are not currently installed), so I filed a bug report on it.
Debian Sid - LXDE
maces

Post by maces »

There won't b an menu entry for adding a new launcher to the desktop. You have to place your generated *.desktop file to /home/edward/Dekstop. If the Directory does not exists create it. If you want to add a laucher to your LXPanel. See the following video to add it (~4min):
[youtube]Zvel6FB97j0[/youtube]
Hope this helped.

maces
edward

Post by edward »

As it is now, it does not appear to be working after the Mandriva-supplied package was installed, so I filed the bug report.

How is lxshortcut launched so that the GUI as shown here, can be used to create a desktop shortcut?
Debian Sid - LXDE
RafalR

Post by RafalR »

------
Rafal
Ubuntu + LXDE