in regards to XDG

Discussion on LXDE releases and Development. This forum is not the best way to contact the developers, please use the Development mailing list and Sourceforge to interact with them.
lostson

in regards to XDG

Post by lostson »

To quote from the lxde.blog
Since they are now moving gnome libs into GTK+, like it or not, all gtk+ applications will be affected.
Really ? and if this is gonna happen what will this mean for lxde ? if gnome-libs become a dependency of Gtk+ should the thought arise about switching toolkits as well ? I know alot of applications already depend on many gnome dependencies but how is lxde gonna get around this if gnome is directly embedded into Gtk+ ?

I have a ton more questions on this subject as well but I think this would be my main concern.
PCMan

Re: in regards to XDG

Post by PCMan »

The former libglade is improved and added to gtk+ as GtkBuilder.
The former gnome-vfs is now re-designed, and renamed to glib/gio + gvfs.
Gtk+ now depends on glib/gio, and works much better if gvfs is present.
Gnome print is now replaced by GtkPrint.

Not all of these changes are bad. Some libs added to gtk+ are useful ones.
However, they planed to add more, and we're not sure if all those libs will be as useful.
lostson

Post by lostson »

So its either gonna be hack out the stuff lxde does not need, create own lxde libs and such or switch toolkits.
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

GTK is not one monolithic thing that you have to take all of. It is split into several libraries, that you would use or not. It makes sense, as things mature and are discovered to be generally useful, that they migrate into the base library. Printing is probably a good example of that.

It's just not the case that GTK is going to "depend on gnome libraries". If you read their plans, they are going to pick and choose a few obvious things to migrate, a lot of which has already been accomplished. I do not see a scenario where LXDE converts to a different toolkit or "hacks out parts of GTK" to be slimmer. You actually make things worse when you do that because you have a bigger memory footprint the moment that an application uses the libraries you stopped using.
lostson

Post by lostson »

Marty Jack wrote:GTK is not one monolithic thing that you have to take all of. It is split into several libraries, that you would use or not. It makes sense, as things mature and are discovered to be generally useful, that they migrate into the base library. Printing is probably a good example of that.

It's just not the case that GTK is going to "depend on gnome libraries". If you read their plans, they are going to pick and choose a few obvious things to migrate, a lot of which has already been accomplished. I do not see a scenario where LXDE converts to a different toolkit or "hacks out parts of GTK" to be slimmer. You actually make things worse when you do that because you have a bigger memory footprint the moment that an application uses the libraries you stopped using.
ahh good to know, thank you.