PCLXDE Released!

Discussion on LXDE releases and Development. This forum is not the best way to contact the developers, please use the Development mailing list and Sourceforge to interact with them.
confused.brit

Re: PCLXDE Released!

Post by confused.brit »

edward wrote: I'm not knocking any one distro. I feel that most of the distros should include a default kernel with the image, that will install on the widest available range of systems (at least a 586-based CPU), then if the user wants to install a kernel more optimized for their specific CPU, they can certainly do that.
Not every Linux user is a Kernel compiling user. And not everyone wants to be. I certainly dont want to.

How many new Ubuntu users you expect to run Lubuntu (picked since its your distro of choice), decide its too slow and compile a new kernel? Nope, I expect they will go 'Linux is too slow' or 'Lubuntu is too slow' or 'LXDE is too slow' and move to a different distro. Hey Maybe they will try PCLXDE and say 'Wow. Look at how zippy it is'

If people want to run a distro on older hardware, there are already distros for that. Puppy anyone?