Logitech illuminated keyboard problems

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.
Stephengp

Logitech illuminated keyboard problems

Post by Stephengp »

Hello,

I have this logitech illuminated keyboard that I got for Christmas, and after getting tired of Gnome I decided to change my desktop environment. Kde was too heavy... and LXDE seems perfect.

So far, LXDE has been great, though there are a few problems that I've been having.

The main one atm is my keyboard problem. When I use startx as my "stephen" user, X won't start, and complains about the keyboard.

Here is the only error in my Xorg log:
(EE) Logitech Logitech Illuminated Keyboard: failed to initialize for relative axes.
Here is the contents of my group configuration:
root::0:root
bin::1:root,bin,daemon
daemon::2:root,bin,daemon
sys::3:root,bin
adm::4:root,daemon
tty::5:
disk::6:root
lp::7:daemon
mem::8:
kmem::9:
wheel::10:root
ftp::11:
mail::12:
uucp::14:
log::19:root
locate::21:
smmsp::25:
http::33:
games::50:
network:x:90:
video:x:91:
audio::92:stephen
optical::93:hal
floppy:x:94:hal
storage:x:95:hal,stephen,root
scanner:x:96:
power:x:98:stephen,root
nobody::99:
users::100:stephen
dbus:x:81:
rfkill:x:24:
hal:x:82:root,stephen
Here is my "lsusb" keyboard line:
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 046d:c318 Logitech, Inc. Illuminated Keyboard
If you need anything else to help me resolve this, I'll gladly provide what I can.

NOTE: I am using a custom kernel configuration(from kernel.org sources), on an ArchLinux system.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

EDIT: I forgot to mention that if i use startx as root, everything works fine!
Marty Jack

Re: Logitech illuminated keyboard problems

Post by Marty Jack »

Most things of the form "only works as root" are a protection problem.

I see that you already posted this question at the Arch forum, which is the correct place for getting it solved. LXDE is a very small part of the system that only runs after you successfully get X started and log in and no one here has anything to do with any of this process.

Things will not go well for getting an answer to your question if you do not make available your xorg.conf if you are using one, and your full Xorg.0.log. Most likely your device discovery is not succeeding because you either haven't got xorg.conf correct, or you don't have HAL/udev running or configured properly. In any event Arch, or you if you are putting the system together yourself, is responsible for that part.

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/110139 has almost the same configuration. If you compare your Xorg log to that one, maybe you will be able to see where yours is failing.