F11 and full screen mode. (SOLVED)

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.
Howard

F11 and full screen mode. (SOLVED)

Post by Howard »

I am looking at LXDE with PCLinuxOS for my Dell mini 10v netbook. (And possibly for my other older machines too as this little thing is about twice as powerful as either of them.) Up to now I've been using the various KDE versions of PCLOS, so I'm finding my way.

One problem I do have is that with the short screen of the netbook (what the suppliers call "wide" screen :D ) I want to use full screen mode in my applications, (Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice etc) and this is generally called up by pressing F11 (on the DellMini it has to be <Fn+F11>), or from the drop down menu under view. Each application is slightly different.

<Fn+F11> works exactly the same as the menu option when I am in KDE3.5, but in LXDE I get a lesser response from the <Fn+F11>. It only gives a partly fuller screen, and in OOo, where F11 should produce the Styles menu it does exactly the same, just removing a few pixels from the top of the display. (<Ctrl+Shift+J>) does give the proper full screen.

I don't know too much about the inner workings, but I'm guessing that the system has some sort of universal "full screen" mode and intercepts the F11 code before it gets to the application. I'd prefer the full full screen with a single key rather than have to click drop down menus. Is there some way to disable the system response to F11 and have it passed on to the application?

Added later:

I have just confirmed that a LXDE installation on a computer that recognises F11 alone (i.e without the Fn key), also shows this behaviour, so it's nothing to do with the netbook.
Last edited by Howard on Fri May 14, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aus9

Re: F11 and full screen mode.

Post by aus9 »

hi

until you get a better reply....and I don't have your hardware

Does this distro run LXDE on Openbox?

Code: Select all

top | grep openbox
hopefully will show it if its running.

2) if so, see if you have a file called
/home/(name)/.config/openbox/rc.xml

Open it with a text editor and search for F11 hopefully make show something like

<keybind key="F11">
<action name="ToggleFullscreen"/>
</keybind>
Howard

Re: F11 and full screen mode.

Post by Howard »

Thanks Aus9, that's it. (Once I'd worked out that you needed <!-- .....--> to comment out a line.)
Howard

Re: F11 and full screen mode. (SOLVED)

Post by Howard »

To get the best of both worlds don't comment it out but replace "F11" with "A-F11". Then <Alt+F11> gives the openbox full screen mode and leaves F11 free for applications.