Fedora

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.
akashee

Fedora

Post by akashee »

How do I enable my Wireless on Fedora? I just got Fedora working and I've never used Linux before. I went to configure my WiFi to use the network I'm currently on and it's not showing up under any lists. Help?
Last edited by akashee on Sat May 29, 2010 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Jack

Re: Fedora

Post by Marty Jack »

If you have never used Linux before, you are going to have a difficult time with LXDE. Might I suggest a new-user-friendly distribution such as Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop until you get some experience.

Or, if you want to forge ahead on this path, you could install NetworkManager or wicd, both of which are fairly popular.
josergc

Post by josergc »

hi Marty,

I am also using the Fedora LXDE. When I connect the wife from its hardware interruptor, a dialog appears to set it up the first time and, when it has been configured, in the subsequent times, it asks me for recovering the password from the keystore. I also could not find any wizard or option in the menus.

I have checked in root mode, and in command line, in a terminal box, there is a command 'system-config-network'. It opens a wizard for networks. Check if the interface appears already, otherwise try to add it. Hope it can help.

If you dare with command line, try this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469

Good luck!
rockdoctor

Re: Fedora wireless

Post by rockdoctor »

When it works (which is most of the time), I use NetworkManager when running Fedora. In order for the little applet to appear in the system tray, you'll also need to install (if it's not already present) NetworkManager-gnome.

When NetworkManager throws a hissy fit, I switch to manual networking. As root in a terminal window:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop
/etc/init.d/network start
iwconfig wlan0 essid <my-wireless-router's-essid>
dhclient wlan0
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!
BlackMask

Post by BlackMask »

i got difficulty using LXDE.

can you provide us a tips or lecture about this LXDE.

thanks