Strange desktop behaviour when using external monitor

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.
Pugmaster

Strange desktop behaviour when using external monitor

Post by Pugmaster »

Hello fellow lxde-users,

when using a external monitor there are 2 similar desktops blend together (the attached screen shot should help you understand).
2013-02-27-235749_1680x1050_scrot.png
(251.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet

I'm using a Lenovo T400 and a 1680x1050 monitor. The internal resolution is 1400x900. I don't want to use them simultaneously or be able to switch on the fly - internal on the go, external at home would work just fine.

I already tried to get rid of the problem by using arandr, which sadly doesn't help at all.

Thanks for any suggestions
Rex Bouwense

Re: Strange desktop behaviour when using external monitor

Post by Rex Bouwense »

How did you get it to do that? :geek:
I have never seen that before. Are you using one OS (i.e. not dual or multipbooting)? Not sure why that is relevent because they don't bleed over. Does the problem remain if you change the theme (under Preferences->Openbox Configuration->Theme)? What theme are you using anyway?
Rex
Pugmaster

Post by Pugmaster »

Hello Rex Bouwense,

I'm using Lubuntu 12.10, freshly installed, no dual boot at all. Changing the theme (my default is Clearlooks-3.4) doesn't take any effect on the desktop.
it really seems to be a weird problem. I already consulted the German ubuntuuser-forums but nobody had a clue what to do.

Best regards

E: Well, I found a little workaround but it isn't practical at all:
First I have to set the external monitor's resolution to 1440x900, then I have to tweak around with the wallpaper (-> centring -> scaling). Now I can set the resolution back to the monitors native an everything works just fine - one desktop and the wallpaper is scaled properly.
a.png
(431.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
After rebooting the wallpaper isn't scaled properly but I still got one functioning desktop, works for me.
b.png
(428.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Running without dock, internal monitor only, works perfectly, too. But after putting it back into the docking-station and using the external monitor everything is messed up again...
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Pugmaster

Post by Pugmaster »

seppalta wrote:http://lxlinux.com/#14
Pugmaster wrote: I already tried to get rid of the problem by using arandr, which sadly doesn't help at all.
Tried it one more time, doesn't make any difference. After rebooting with the external monitor there are two desktops in one.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Did you try the second option that seppalta's web site talks about, Grandr?
Rex
Pugmaster

Post by Pugmaster »

Unfortunately Grandr isn't provided via official libraries in Lubuntu 12.10 anymore. Is there any possibility to get it anyway? I'm really not too deep into the linux-world ...
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

OK. I just shot my mouth off and didn't check it with Synaptic Package Manager. When I put a search in there, all that I got was lxrandr. Is that the one that you have already tried?
Rex
Pugmaster

Post by Pugmaster »

I already checked Arandr. Lxrandr is just the default monitor configurator provided with Lubuntu.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

there are two desktops in one
What does this mean? After using arandr to get the configuration that you want, you have to save it, default is to .screenlayout. Then you add that shell script (~.screenlayout/name.sh) to lxde autostart to get the same setting to repeat each boot. It's all inhttp://lxlinux.com .