Eee PC 1000HE: LXDE + Eeebuntu

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.
xndr

Eee PC 1000HE: LXDE + Eeebuntu

Post by xndr »

Wondering if anyone here might be able to shed some light.

Originally posted to http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php? ... 02#p551502:
I've installed Eeebuntu NBR 2.0 to my brand new Eee PC 1000HE. Wireless networking was not functional OOTB, but I was able to get it going without too much trouble; details at http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=7

Everything was close to perfect until I decided to switch from Gnome to LXDE. Of course I could simply switch back to Gnome, but as other users have reported, the performance is noticeably faster with LXDE, particularly when playing embedded video in Firefox.

Once I booted into LXDE, an error loading your scripts prompted me to alter my xorg.conf according to the instructions at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1106542 -- which seemed to resolve some of the issues. Some of the hotkeys work (brightness, switching off the display), but Fn+F* will no longer raise and lower the volume. I've tacked on LXDE's little volume applet to my launchbar for the time being.

I would also like the machine to suspend when its lid is closed (rather than blanking the screen, as it's doing now). This was configured and working fine prior to LXDE, and I am actually able to get it going temporarily by manually loading GPM, but I couldn't figure out how to make it load automatically when LXDE starts. Lastly, the power button no longer responds as it did in Gnome. In fact, nothing happens when I press it. To restart, shutdown, logout, or suspend, I have to choose "Log Out" from the main menu.

How might I go about fixing all this? I'm not opposed to starting over if there's a more efficient configuration for this machine.

LXDE is a terrific desktop for these little computers. I'm sure many others would benefit from increased support for the Eee PC.
Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Last edited by xndr on Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xndr

Re: Eee PC 1000HE: LXDE + Eeebuntu

Post by xndr »

After a bit of fiddling, I'm very happy with my LXDE Eeebuntu configuration on the 1000HE.

From the beginning:
  • -Installed Eeebuntu 2.0 NBR
    -Installed wicd, headers, build-essential, and compat-wireless; detailed procedure here
    -Installed fewt's Eee PC ACPI Utilities and asus-eee-dkms; see StatUX.org and Eee PC ACPI Utilities model support thread
    -Installed LXDE; set as default desktop in Login Items; booted into LXDE; made some adjustments to Appearance preferences
    -Reinstalled Flash player via Synaptic Package Manager, as its functionality within Firefox was mysteriously broken (a bug noted by several other Eeebuntu users in the forums)
    -Added gnome-power-manager to LXDE's startup items; enabled Suspend when lid is closed
Volume control using Fn+F-keys does work; however, there is no indication via onscreen display, so it may appear not to. The volume will, in fact, change according to these keystrokes -- confirm this while audio is playing.

LXDE has truly improved the performance of this little netbook. Anyone looking to get the most out of their Eee PC should give it a shot.

Special thanks to fewt, and to everyone at http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=551563 for all your help.
Turpin

Post by Turpin »

Excellent to see a fellow EEEer tweak this thing to its max. I'm curious though, how is your glxgears/Planet Penguin Racer 3d performance? I have the original EEE PC701 with only 4GB internal SSD and 512 MB RAM, which I keep overclocked at somewhere just under 1 Ghz. I had recently installed and gone through a long process of tweaking a Jaunty custom build of a Eeexubuntu base revamped with LXDE and came out at the end with bad FPS in 3d performance (about 300 fps in glxgears, only about 12 fps in Planet Penguin Racer). It's the only reason after days of tweaking why I gave up and restored my trusty EEExubuntu hardy partition. In Eeexubuntu hardy, on the other hand, I get consistently over 500 fps in glxgears and always over 20fps in Planet Penguin Racer. Obviously I'd rather have the tiny memory footprint of LXDE instead of XFCE.
I think I'm going to try Eeebuntu LXDE beta 2 and see how my luck goes with that. If it does well in the 3D FPS department, it will be my new OS. Are there any serious downsides to sticking with a beta build? Obviously, I'm sure this or that need tweaking over time, but I'll be able to update, right?
archibald haddock

Post by archibald haddock »

xndr wrote: Volume control using Fn+F-keys does work; however, there is no indication via onscreen display, so it may appear not to. The volume will, in fact, change according to these keystrokes -- confirm this while audio is playing.
Could be some hardware triggers, on my laptop my audio volume controls are hardware triggered and it doesnot seem that there is an GNU/Linux driver for them.
atlasx

Post by atlasx »

I also purchased an Asus 1000HE very recently and use a *nix+lxde setup.

My 1000HE is currently running Fedora Core 11 with the custom eee-kernel. I replaced the stock 1GB RAM with a 2 GB stick from newegg for $22USD. I disallowed lxde's PcManFM from handling the desktop and instead use a program called 'feh', which has increased responsiveness and removes the annoying "My Documents" icon from the desktop area. Everything is lightning fast, there's CPU and RAM to spare when running XP in VirtualBox, even on fullscreen or seamless mode. My only current issue is that Ubuntu has packages for dealing with the eee-acpi power/cpu management and Fedora doesn't. For now the basic linux laptop suite of tools will have to suffice.

Over all, very satisfied with the build and machine.