Hard Drive not recognized

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.
AndrewSr

Hard Drive not recognized

Post by AndrewSr »

I am on an Acer Aspire 7520-5181 3G RAM and 2 hard disks
750 G Western Digital ATA flag set to "boot"
500 G Hitache ATA

I formatted the WD drive with g-parted and tried to install Lubuntu there, but it kept stalling on me.
Finally I installed Lubuntu on the 500 G Hitachi drive, and it appears to be working fine. I intended to use the WD drive for another operating system, but gave up on that. Currently I only want to be able to access it for data storage and backup.

But ManFM does not see/ will not mounht the WD Drive.\
The drive shows up fine in Information View:Storage.
It also shows up accurately in Preferences:Disks. This shows the formatted volumes and even offers to format the disk again. I thought I'd do thatt to ensure that the system recognizes the drive properly. However, when I attempt to do that, I get this message:

Error unmounting filesystem /dev/sdb1: Command-line 'unmount "/deve/sdb1"exited with non-zero exit status 32:umount:/:target is busy
(in some cases useful info about processes that use the device is found by Isof(8) or fuser(1).
(udisks-error-quark,14)

I'm pretty much a novice and can't even properlly interpret the error message.

Any help regarding how to enable me to use that drive would be appreciated.
(Please remember my novice status in your explanation. ;) )
Bob E

Re: Hard Drive not recognized

Post by Bob E »

OK, you have Lubuntu on Hitachi (500) as sda1. Once you had Lubuntu up an running, did you go back and re-format the WD?

If this was happening to me, I would open gparted, unmount the WD (sdb1), and since there is nothing on that drive, delete any/all partitions on the WD, then create a new partition and format it to NTFS. Reboot and now you should be able to access that drive for storage. (You may or may not have to enter your password for access.)

(The computer I'm on right now has a similar set-up. I have a WD 320 as sda1 running CrunchBang and a Seagate 500 as sdb1 for storage.)